how to handle v6 EEA clients not on domain or even on site

In v5 we used to be able to install the client on standalone computers that traveled outside our network.  They would get virus DB updates from the internet.  And i used to be able to do an IP scan to find computers that weren't on the domain and install the client.  With v6 how do I handle these clients that aren't domain computers.  My ERA is NOT open to the interweb, but they do VPN in usually on a daily basis so could they check in the ERA if I somehow got the agent and v6 client installed?  I have to update my existing v5 "non-domain, not on our network currently" laptops.  Thanks for your help.

In v5 you could install a standalone client and it would get updates from the internet.  How is this possible in v6?  These remote laptops do VPN in daily, but i don't otherwise have the ERA appliance open to the internet.  Deploying the client on v5 i could also just do by searching an IP range and the non domain would show up.  How can i do that now in v6 where my static groups are all sync'd via AD.  

Thanks. 

What we do is this:

• Install Agent and ERA onto the clients
  • Clients get updates from internet
  • Clients communicate to ERA via a FQDN (e.g. eset.company.com, on port 2222)
  • ERA listens on port 2222
  • Port 2222 is open in firewall

That way, it makes no difference if client is on LAN or on internet.

We do this for 170+ clients.

Jim