ESET ERA 6 - Cant activate Clients outside of company network

Dear ESET Support,

I am testing ESET ERA 6 for two weeks now. Info: On version 6.1.444.0 the Rogue Detection Sensor does NOT work. Please fix that for the upcoming release.

I was able to install the ERA 6 on our server and also was able to deploy agents with the live installer scripts.

However i have the problem that clients outside of our company network, cant talk "correctly" to the server. 

But ERA 6 is able to show me that the last connection between Server and Clients was some moments ago.

Pushing the agent worked fine. Pushing the installation with a policy worked fine.

Updating the Virus DB and Activate the Product? NO

Do i have to setup something special?

The server can be pinged and reached from outside, because we have opened the necessary ports as described in the install guideline.

What do i have to setup that the clients get his updates from the ESET Server? leaving it by default on "AUTOSELECT" didnt work.

I was very happy about the new interface and the performance overall ( don't use the console in the server, connect to the Web console with a Browser on a different client: 1000x faster).

This issue is big and could be the reason not to go with ESET.

Thanks for a fast feedback.

regards

Sanjeev

• Administrators

I am testing ESET ERA 6 for two weeks now. Info: On version 6.1.444.0 the Rogue Detection Sensor does NOT work. Please fix that for the upcoming release.

It works but there can be some problem. Do you have RD Sensor installed in the same subnet as the computers ? Is it running within Hyper-V? Do the computers have a firewall installed / enabled? If so, is at least one port open?

Please check the following KB for a list of ports and addresses that need to be accessible for particular features to work: hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN332.

Hi Marcos,

Thanks for the fast reply. No the RD sensor is not in the same subnet. The Server wont be in a the same subnet as the clients because we also have them outside of our company, traveling around the world, working at clients network. That is why we made the server reachable from public networks with the ports 2222/2223.

We are currently running it for testing purpose on a  AWS Cloud instance in a Virtual Private Cloud. Communication from Amazon to our Network is working.

Firewall is disabled on the affected computers. Thank you for the IP address list. I only found one KB with the necessary Ports. I will check the IP address list.

Hi Marcos, 

i have checked the IP`s. I believe that`s not the problem.

Info:

- two clients(servers) are NOT located in our network, hosted at our exchange partner

- they are in a different subnet

- there is a different firewall

- we don't have any rights to manage the network or the config where the two servers are located.

- the two clients were detected after running the live agent install script.

- the two clients were able to download the EEA and install it from the repository. this task was pushed from the ERA 6.

- the defined policies were successfully applied to the two clients.

- our server is reachable from everywhere. i have tested that out from Europe/Hong Kong and with several mobile devices with different ISP`s

Since we can deploy the agent and the EEA gets installed with the push installation from the ERA server, the ports we have opened are working properly.

My question is, why cant i activate a product with the activation task, when deploying the ERA agent and installing the product itself works?

The agent needs to push the activation task the same way it pushed the installation task right?

Also the policies are pushed correctly. I have to enter a password i setup on the ERA  to access advanced setup on the product.

Edited by Sanjeev Velmurugan

• 2 months later...

Hi Marcos, 

i have checked the IP`s. I believe that`s not the problem.

Info:

- two clients(servers) are NOT located in our network, hosted at our exchange partner

- they are in a different subnet

- there is a different firewall

- we don't have any rights to manage the network or the config where the two servers are located.

- the two clients were detected after running the live agent install script.

- the two clients were able to download the EEA and install it from the repository. this task was pushed from the ERA 6.

- the defined policies were successfully applied to the two clients.

- our server is reachable from everywhere. i have tested that out from Europe/Hong Kong and with several mobile devices with different ISP`s

Since we can deploy the agent and the EEA gets installed with the push installation from the ERA server, the ports we have opened are working properly.

My question is, why cant i activate a product with the activation task, when deploying the ERA agent and installing the product itself works?

The agent needs to push the activation task the same way it pushed the installation task right?

Also the policies are pushed correctly. I have to enter a password i setup on the ERA  to access advanced setup on the product.

Hi,

I have the exact problem marked above  in the red after installing a few servers. Some of the servers did not activate but the agents are communicating and getting their policies from the ERA server.

Sanjeev, did you already found a solution if so can you tell me how I can fix this?