Parental Controls: Can I enter *.* to block all websites?

Windows 7/64 Ultimate

ESET Smart Security™, Version 8.0.312.0

I was under the impression that the parental control blocking would work similar to the regular URL blocking in the product.

But when I X out every option in the "Web Content Filtering" tab, and supply *.* in the "Blocked and allowed webpages" tab (with an X), I am still allowed access to everything.

When I supply a specific URL (e.g. images.google.com), that does work, and images.google.com is indeed blocked.

I, like many parents, would like to block all websites for my child's login except a few accepted ones by me.  A very short whitelist.

I'd like the list to be similar to:

post-7606-0-90210500-1433693578_thumb.png

How do I do this?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Wildcards are not currently supported here. This would work if you used URL management list in the Web protection setup, however, such urls would be allowed/blocked for everyone. However, we'll consider improving this for future versions (not before v9 service build 1).

• 2 weeks later...

Wildcards are not currently supported here. This would work if you used URL management list in the Web protection setup, however, such urls would be allowed/blocked for everyone. However, we'll consider improving this for future versions (not before v9 service build 1).

Please do.  Such an ability is the basic tenet of a white-list strategy per user.  This is going to be a mandatory concept for parents of young children who should only be dealing with a short list of certain websites (wixie.com for school projects, learning sites, etc.)

I'll be investigating other 3rd party "net nanny" style utilities now.

Edited by tgm1024

• 1 year later...

Hey, so I am also very interested in the ability to whitelist for the parental control app as I am thinking of purchasing it. We are now in version 10 of smart security. Has this feature been added?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, sashish said:

Hey, so I am also very interested in the ability to whitelist for the parental control app as I am thinking of purchasing it. We are now in version 10 of smart security. Has this feature been added?

Parental Control blocks access to websites by categories set by parents. It does not control applications.