Help - New clients will not update

StevePA

Hello,

We have RA Server version 5.1.38.0 and the client 5.0.2237.2 setup kits.

Upon installing the 5.0.2237.2 client, none of our new installs will update.  It says there are 21 updates and they all fail consistently on 19/21.

I can try over and over again and it's the same thing- 19/21 and abort/fail.

I see nothing on our RA Server logs concerning the failure and we're dead in the water as we can no longer use our remaining seats/licenses as the 5.0.2237.2 clients will not update on fresh installs.

The 6.X client is out of the question as it asks for activation immediately and what we use is an XML configuration file post-installation and 6.X client is a poop-screw for changing everything around for us ESET Business users.

Any help on how to diagnose or repair this update problem will be appreciated, or at least some way to possibly bypass the first-launch activation with no way to import a config file for v6.X client (which I'm assuming has more recent definitions so as it may update correctly).

Thanks!

Have you tried clearing update cache in the ERA setup?

Yes, yesterday and I just did it again right now...   same result.

It's almost as though there is either some limit on how many updates at a time or something on the Windows server that is being exceeded but I see nothing in the Event Viewer to suggest a limit has been reached.

• Administrators

If you use Endpoint v5 to create a mirror and temporarily point a problematic client to update from it, does update run alright ?

If you use Endpoint v5 to create a mirror and temporarily point a problematic client to update from it, does update run alright ?

This problem is happening solely on the ERA server with update mirror.  All our clients update from the mirror.

When connecting to the mirror, any new installs fail at update 19/21 when updating from the ERA server with mirror.

I should also mention the client I'm working on right now is on the same subnet/switch as the ERA mirror server so there is no routing or anything in-between to cause this.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!  This is a strange issue...

Update- I just created a new update profile, put our username/password and set server to "Choose Automatically" so as it could try updating over the internet to ESET's update servers.

It took a bit longer, obviously, but fails in the same place - 19/21.

So this seems to be an issue with ESET not our ERA server as their own servers are exhibitting the same behavior.