Aryeh Goretsky

Future changes to ESET Internet Security and ESET Smart Security Premium

Description: FW option evaluate rules from Windows Firewall
Detail: In Advanced setup of Firewall set to Automatic mode there is an option Also evaluate rules from Windows firewall. As described this option will allow inbound traffic allowed by Windows firewall.

For me it would be useful to have an option that will also evaluate blocked outbound rules in Windows firewall. This way those rules wouldn't have to be recreated when migrating from Windows native firewall to ESET's.

I apologize if any of both suggestions have already been posted.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Minimalist said:

Description: Non-default browser for Banking and Payment protection
Detail: It would be nice if we could set non-default browser to be used for banking protection when secure browser is run from main screen or using desktop shortcut. I use Firefox for day-to-day browsing (it's set as default) and Internet explorer for online banking and similar.

I can launch protected IE if I navigate to banking website from within IE and then switch to secure browser when asked. If I launch secure browser from desktop it will always launch Firefox and as it seems that there is no option to set non-default browser to be used as secure browser.

This is usually accomplished the reverse of what you are doing.  In Win, the default browser would be set to IE11. The advantage of this is if your browsing in FF and then land on an Eset whitelisted banking site for example, Eset would auto open that site in IE11 using Banking and Payment Protection.

BTW - no one including Microsoft recommends using IE11 for anything anymore. Also as far as FireFox goes, Eset creates a separate profile used only for Banking and Payment Protection. The profile FireFox uses for non-Banking and Payment Protection browsing activities is not used.

Edited by itman

7 hours ago, itman said:

This is usually accomplished the reverse of what you are doing.  In Win, the default browser would be set to IE11. The advantage of this is if your browsing in FF and then land on an Eset whitelisted banking site for example, Eset would auto open that site in IE11 using Banking and Payment Protection.

BTW - no one including Microsoft recommends using IE11 for anything anymore. Also as far as FireFox goes, Eset creates a separate profile used only for Banking and Payment Protection. The profile FireFox uses for non-Banking and Payment Protection browsing activities is not used.

Hm, I don't know how many people actually use IE as default browser. If so, they would also use it for browsing so there would be no separation of browsers.

Regarding IE - I just prefer to use it that way. Bank uses personal certificate for identification and I imported it to Windows certificate store and it's not accessible by Firefox. So using IE jthat way makes sense to me.

I've had option to select which browser will be protected in previous AV solution so I thought I'll give a suggestion here.

8 hours ago, Minimalist said:

Hm, I don't know how many people actually use IE as default browser. If so, they would also use it for browsing so there would be no separation of browsers.

What I was referring to was issuing IE11 as default browser and manually opening up FireFox, etc., for normal browsing activities. I ran this way for sometime until totally ditching IE11 and switching my default browser to FireFox.

14 hours ago, itman said:

What I was referring to was issuing IE11 as default browser and manually opening up FireFox, etc., for normal browsing activities. I ran this way for sometime until totally ditching IE11 and switching my default browser to FireFox.

I understand. This wouldn't work for me as I couldn't use IE as default (I would have to copy paste all links from email client instead of just clicking on them and similar)...

Description: Dark Mode
Detail: I could put the antivirus in Dark mode as several antivirus are doing on their platforms, we need it urgently.

Hi Aryer Goretsky, thanks for the initiative to find out from users the needs for the security program.

1a. If something can be done in ESET to "kick out" foreign devices in home network, that would be great!  That may be the function of the router. But if we can have something in ESET that can do this, that would be good, as I don't really trust the privacy of my router that much. Maybe this is a tall order.

1b. OR if there is any help to prevent the scenarios below from happening on the part of the security program. I understand some of these situations could be due to infected router or laptops that have given a foothold to foreign devices.

For a particular reason, my private network seems to be infiltrated by devices in the past and present (but now better managed with restrictions in router settings).

Since two years back, some infiltration stared appearing in "home" network setting.  I also started seeing  large cars of different models with skylight, always with man waiting inside parked close to where I stay.

Out of fear of foreign devices snooping around home devices, I set the network was set to "public". 

Suspicious scenarios happen as follows:

- Devices with foreign MAC addresses remaining active ("just now") in the network. The MAC address of these foreign devices kept changing when I tried to filter them out by the router using blacklist. Finally one intruder assumed the same MAC address as a home computer, and it couldn't be filtered out. Currently, I have managed to contain the problem.

- Some of these foreign devices assuming names or portions of names (sometimes confused) of devices at home, or acronyms of persons at home. It appears computer data has been leaked for them to know names, and even the names of users.  

-Foreign device remaining active in the network once they get a foothold, possibly through another home device. They normally appear in the other network  (such as 5G) when the home device logs into a network (such as 2G). The foreign device remains there even after that home device is removed from network, or taken away from home. These foreign devices somehow managed to enter the other home network without knowing the password

1c. If ESET can detect man in the middle attack or DDoS attack, that would be great. Not sure if cars with devices in proximity can enact such attacks on the network or induce the laptop to tap on some network.

- Computer keeps being kicked out of home network.

- It was observed that when using hidden network, networks called up by the home devices can be copies of the home network ABC, such as ABC1, ABC2, etc.

2. Have user friendly instructions to help tech novices like me to operate the settings in the ESET security. So that I can minimize network infiltration and attacks and keep each home device totally cut off from others. Better still, have in-built systems of settings that I can select from to achieve a certain security aims, having inputted  what I hope to do (or not to do) in the home network (whether there is file sharing or not). In this way, I won't have to need to understand the technical jargon to operate the current settings in ESET, which are difficult to grasp.

Thank you.