Eset Smart Security And Eset Nod32 Antivirus 9 Beta Available

• Most Valued Members

Will future beta releases, as well as the final, be able to install over the current beta release? If not can the rules and settings created on the current release be exported and then imported on a future release?

I always recommend a fresh install of the final release, as in uninstalling the beta and install the final. (even if it may official be supported) And I assume that exporting and importing should work fine as usual, at least from v9 beta to final.

• Most Valued Members

I always recommend a fresh install of the final release, as in uninstalling the beta and install the final. (even if it may official be supported) And I assume that exporting and importing should work fine as usual, at least from v9 beta to final.

Thank you SweX. I have two concerns which is why I asked. The first is my miserably small data allowance and the second is recreating all the rules I have.

I appreciate your time to respond. I will be going for the beta on my new computer, the other will be fine till Eset SS is out of beta.

Thank you SweX. I have two concerns which is why I asked. The first is my miserably small data allowance and the second is recreating all the rules I have.

I appreciate your time to respond. I will be going for the beta on my new computer, the other will be fine till Eset SS is out of beta.

I have always installed the update over the current version with no problems.

Of course, there is always the exception but I have not had one YET. :)

I have several computers and I am very lazy. :(

I don't think there should be any issues exporting and importing the hips and firewall rules that I have heard of, but if we talk about the settings it may be a bit different, lets say one would import settings from v5 into v8, that may not work to 100% since there is new features in v8 that is not found in v5 so manual tweaking may be needed in those cases. Not that you use v5, but just that the features can differ between each version release depending on what one use and plan to upgrade from.

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

I don't think there should be any issues exporting and importing the hips and firewall rules that I have heard of, but if we talk about the settings it may be a bit different, lets say one would import settings from v5 into v8, that may not work to 100% since there is new features in v8 that is not found in v5 so manual tweaking may be needed in those cases. Not that you use v5, but just that the features can differ between each version release depending on what one use and plan to upgrade from.

I don't plan on importing my V8.x settings and rules in to v9. But rather import the new settings and rules created in v9 beta to v9 final if that makes sense. In other words redo it all in the beta and import in to final.

I just redid them all with an install of v8 on my new computer a month or so ago. So it's pretty clear in my mind what is involved.

I finally convinced my wife that she needed my computer and that I needed a newer one and retired the 13 year old XP. You know safety, security and faster computer for her and all that stuff... {whispers .. shhhhh.... it worked for me :rolleyes: }

Edited by SCR

I don't plan on importing my V8.x settings and rules in to v9. But rather import the new settings and rules created in v9 beta to v9 final if that makes sense. In other words redo it all in the beta and import in to final.

I just redid them all with an install of v8 on my new computer a month or so ago. So it's pretty clear in my mind what is involved.

I finally convinced my wife that she needed my computer and that I needed a newer one and retired the 13 year old XP. You know safety, security and faster computer for her and all that stuff... {whispers .. shhhhh.... it worked for me :rolleyes: }

Yes that should work fine, if you want to use the beta and not wait until the final is released.

Haha oh yes...I'm sure she will understand  :D

Now SSL is enable by default, it's good. The new GUI is more clean but the same logo is very big I think. 

I can only say that ESET9 beta it's the best beta program I ever tested. It is very successful and without major bugs.

keep the good work eset ;)

• Most Valued Members

Installed v9 beta today, just couldn't resist.... Shiny!!!!!  :)

Everything went very well uninstalling v8 and installing v9. Updated to v9.0,117.0, Updated the Anti-Virus database and ran the first scan in 30 minutes.

Network/HomeGroup no problems, I used automatic mode for this. I'm still creating rules as I use programs without issue, I know about learning mode but I'm a bit OCD about what connects..

Here comes the dumb question. I activated the install as a beta user, the only choice I had. How do I enter my user name and license? I haven't completely explored all the nooks and crannies yet but I've found everything I've looked for except where to enter the license. Maybe the beta can only be activated as a beta and the license part will come later, just a bit confused about this having read the help file and tried as directed.

Any information would be helpful. {More dumb questions to follow, no doubt}

ON Edit.. Never Mind found my answer here:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/5037-v9-beta-activation/page-2

This install is on Win7 Pro sp1 x64

Edited by SCR

Hey!

how is for Windows 10 build 10166 working that beta witth that build  today.

Next have an licens for v8 can use with v9 when is final or must buy new!!

• Administrators

Next have an licens for v8 can use with v9 when is final or must buy new!!

Yes, you can use your license with any version of the product you purchased providing it's still supported.

Hi, guys, just to say a thing or two about ESS9. So, I've installed it on my antique machine - OS - Windows XP, 1.6gb, 1gb RAM, Intel Atom the other day.

Firstly, the good. ESET's got a GUI that it deserved. Cheers! Excellent work! Readible menus and easy to navigate GUI for the everyday Joe (like me). You could have made a terrible, terrible thing. I don't want to mention the names of some your competitors and the awful things they've done with their apps, but I'm sure, you know what I mean. Or you could have left it untouched. Well, it wouldn't be disaster, but this GUI is better for me. More mature, if I could say so. It would be... little childish wish, but have you considered the option to choose colour or somethyng like that, besides the white?

Some small issues. Firstly, in comparison with v.7 (the one I used more recently) the RAM has grown slightly - I mean for the ekrn. Secondly, I find little lagging when interacting with Windows Explorer, e.g. opening media from within a player - for about 10 to 20 or 30 seconds. Thirdly, turning off the protection (when I play games) - the file antivirus and the internet protection - and then turning it on back through the context menu or through the start window (not through "setup"), the internet shield stays inactive and the icon in the systray doesnt inform me about that (means that I'm unprotected to internet threats and don't know it), so I have to go to the Setup section and turn it on manually. !But this is an issue I had noticed since v.6. There are some trouble with Firefox I think too, but I couldnt define it correctly. It freezes.

I dont know if my feedback is of any value, since I'm running the application on the antiquated XP.

Greetings! Keep up the good work, and may the Force be with you! :)

Edited by Strahota

• Administrators

Thirdly, turning off the protection (when I play games) - the file antivirus and the internet protection - and then turning it on back through the context menu or through the start window (not through "setup"), the internet shield stays inactive and the icon in the systray doesnt inform me about that (means that I'm unprotected to internet threats and don't know it), so I have to go to the Setup section and turn it on manually. !But this is an issue I had noticed since v.6. 

I've never come across this. If I disable protection via the tray icon menu, all protection modules will be disabled. If I re-enable it via the same menu, all protection modules will be enabled (all of them turn green in gui).

• Most Valued Members

Thirdly, turning off the protection (when I play games) - the file antivirus and the internet protection - and then turning it on back through the context menu or through the start window (not through "setup"), the internet shield stays inactive and the icon in the systray doesnt inform me about that (means that I'm unprotected to internet threats and don't know it), so I have to go to the Setup section and turn it on manually. !But this is an issue I had noticed since v.6. 

I've never come across this. If I disable protection via the tray icon menu, all protection modules will be disabled. If I re-enable it via the same menu, all protection modules will be enabled (all of them turn green in gui).

This happened to me on the first install of the beta shortly after public release (with Windows 7 SP1 32-bit), however after uninstalling (using the removal tool) and installing again it functioned correctly. No idea why it did that the first time.

• Most Valued Members

Hi, guys, just to say a thing or two about ESS9. So, I've installed it on my antique machine - OS - Windows XP, 1.6gb, 1gb RAM, Intel Atom the other day.

Firstly, the good. ESET's got a GUI that it deserved. Cheers! Excellent work! Readible menus and easy to navigate GUI for the everyday Joe (like me). You could have made a terrible, terrible thing. I don't want to mention the names of some your competitors and the awful things they've done with their apps, but I'm sure, you know what I mean. Or you could have left it untouched. Well, it wouldn't be disaster, but this GUI is better for me. More mature, if I could say so. It would be... little childish wish, but have you considered the option to choose colour or somethyng like that, besides the white?

Some small issues. Firstly, in comparison with v.7 (the one I used more recently) the RAM has grown slightly - I mean for the ekrn. Secondly, I find little lagging when interacting with Windows Explorer, e.g. opening media from within a player - for about 10 to 20 or 30 seconds. Thirdly, turning off the protection (when I play games) - the file antivirus and the internet protection - and then turning it on back through the context menu or through the start window (not through "setup"), the internet shield stays inactive and the icon in the systray doesnt inform me about that (means that I'm unprotected to internet threats and don't know it), so I have to go to the Setup section and turn it on manually. !But this is an issue I had noticed since v.6. There are some trouble with Firefox I think too, but I couldnt define it correctly. It freezes.

I dont know if my feedback is of any value, since I'm running the application on the antiquated XP.

Greetings! Keep up the good work, and may the Force be with you! :)

When you say turn everything off are you turning it off or using the game mode?

Thank you for answering me. I am not noticing this anymore...

@peteyt: When I had this problem - through setup, turning off manually antimalware and internet (firewall on) protection, AND then entering in gamer mode (in all meanings).

And once again БРАВОBRAVO for the new gui.

Edited by Strahota

Is there anyplace to see/check when new beta builds are released with change logs?

ESET usually post on the forum when new installers/builds are released. The BETA have only got one automatic software update since install so far, but I have no info about what it fixed.

Edited by SweX