Eset Smart Security And Eset Nod32 Antivirus 9 Beta Available

• Administrators

We are happy to announce the availability of ESET NOD32 Antivirus and ESET Smart Security 9 beta. The new version extends protection capabilities of ESET Smart Security which now includes Banking & Payment protection for secure banking payments. Firewall now includes a troubleshooting wizard which provides a list of recently blocked connections with an option to create a rule and thus allow all future communications. Many other improvements have been made under the hood, such as support for so-called micro program component updates or support for network signatures for Botnet protection.

You can download the installers from the following locations:

ESET Smart Security 9 beta:

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 32-bit:

hxxp://download.eset.com/special/ess-beta/ess_nt32_ENU.exe

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 64-bit:

hxxp://download.eset.com/special/ess-beta/ess_nt64_ENU.exe

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 beta:

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 32-bit:

hxxp://download.eset.com/special/eav-beta/eav_nt32_ENU.exe

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 64-bit:

hxxp://download.eset.com/special/eav-beta/eav_nt64_ENU.exe

NOTE: Installation over the previous version IS NOT supported. Please uninstall your current ESET product and restart the computer prior to installing the beta.

To report issues, please fill in the built-in support form or hxxp://www.eset.com/int/beta/form.

marcos has anything been done with the lightweight filter on this one at all? also the nod32 version is saying not found

Edited by zfactor

• Administrators

marcos has anything been done with the lightweight filter on this one at all? also the nod32 version is saying not found

I can't comment on it at the moment as the developers are not currently available. As for the broken links to EAV, I've amended them so they should work now fine. I'd suggest you test ESS v9 beta and let us know if the issue persists. It happens that certain changes or fixes may inadvertently affect and fix other issues as well.

testing now. overall its very nice. at this time me personally i prefer the old gui but this one is done very nicely and is not a mess like some are today. one thing is it seems to be putting a bit of a drag on the whole system not sure why but things seems slower to respond overall. especially browsing. ill give it some time to settle in and then report back. i do apprciate the fact we can disable the extras permanently please do keep that option in. i am one who does not use those and prefers not to be nagged about them when turning them off.

The only real change that I would like to see with this new beta release is :

• Functionality to Block USB media storage devices when connected as MTP/PTP.
  • Add an option to scan USB media storage devices from context menu or make 'em scannable when Automatic Device Scan is selected again in MTP/PTP mode.
Edited by SlimRock

I like new GUI. It looks minimal and polished  :)

SSL checking is ON by default and ESET's certificate is installed in Trusted root CA... 

I reported one minor bug when creating HIPS rules.

Good job ESET.

marcos good news at least on this machine. this one one of the machines affected by the filter problem. with this version there is no more problem. i even went ahead and reinstalled v8 and the problem came back again. but with v9 x64 ess beta speeds are normal both down and up. hoping this is the same for the other system i have that issue with. will report back. thanks

please tell us will we still be able to use our old UN-USED lic keys (i have some boxed versions i ordered from newegg when they are on sale and i hang onto them to use as needed) in this version i saw a few people saying (not from eset just on general forums) they were changing the way it activates and we would not be able to use the older lic's anymore? please clarify for sure for us, thank you

Edited by zfactor

@Marcos

Maybe you could include the "known issues" list and "system requirements" in your OP so people can see it straight away ?  

Just a thought  :)

Known Issues
• Upgrade from previous versions is not supported - clean installation is required
• Reset settings to default doesn’t work
• Anti-theft association message cannot be dismissed in some cases
• Anti-theft doesn’t send screenshots from webcam and desktop when a device is in missing state
• Windows 10: only build 10074 is supported
• Windows 10: firewall is blocking network connections / firewall driver fails after reinstall of the application / OS upgrade
• Installation of the beta product over different type of product is not supported (ESET NOD32 Antivirus over ESET Smart Security and vice versa)
• Firewall troubleshooting wizard counter always shows zero
• Help texts are outdated
• Banking & Payment protection frame is not always correctly displayed
• Importing certificates for SSL scanning to Firefox fails in some cases
• Only the latest versions of browsers are supported for SSL scanning
• SysInspector crashes on Windows XP

System requirements
For the seamless operation of ESET Smart Security 9 Beta, edition 2016 or ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 Beta, edition 2016, the system should meet the following hardware and software requirements:
Processors Supported: Intel® or AMD x86-x64.
Operating Systems: Microsoft® Windows® 8.1, 8, 7, Vista,
XP SP3+ 32-bit, XP SP2+ 64-bit.
Edited by SweX

So Beta 9 is here...I have only installed in on the XP box so far, but I haven't used the computer so I don't know how it will run when I actually do things yet. But I thought I could write a bit about my first impressions as things has changed quite a lot, especially the new makeup ESET put on its face  :)

At first I thought "hmmm ok I can get used to this GUI"...but later on the 3'rd time I went into the Advanced Setup I felt at home right way. The opening and closing of the sections feel practical enough. So as a whole, I think the new GUI design is fine. At least I am very happy that they didn't make it Black or very dark like Bitdefender for example, that would be terrible. I am also happy that ESS still can be considered bloat free.

I have seen elsewhere that some think the GUI is "too big" and there's too much unused background space, well IMO that depends where you are in the GUI. For example, if you are at "Tools" you have some unused background space underneath, but if you click on "More tools" all that unused space fill up with icons. I really hope they don't make it smaller as that would only result in that we have to scroll much more, instead of clicking.  And the "Advanced Setup" window is the same size as the main gui, and I don't feel shrinking it would result in an easier to use GUI. The size is good as it is. I rather navigate the GUI by clicking through it, than scroll through it.

1. I notice we got 3 new modules....

LiveGrid communication module, Configuration module, and Banking & Payment protection module.

Virus signature database: 11704P (20150529)

Rapid Response module: 6090 (20150529)
Update module: 1059 (20150505)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1457 (20150527)
Advanced heuristics module: 1154 (20150129)
Archive support module: 1227 (20150511)
Cleaner module: 1109 (20150519)
Anti-Stealth support module: 1077 (20150520)
Personal firewall module: 1272B (20150525)
ESET SysInspector module: 1246 (20150121)
Real-time file system protection module: 1009 (20130301)
Translation support module: 1350B (20150522)
HIPS support module: 1181B (20150525)
Internet protection module: 1200B (20150513)
Web content filter module: 1040 (20150506)
Advanced antispam module: 2314P (20150529)
Database module: 1066 (20150525)
Configuration module (33): 1117B (20150522)
LiveGrid communication module: 1019 (20141104)
Specialized cleaner module: 1010 (20141118)
Banking & payment protection module: 1028 (20150528)

2. I notice egui.exe now uses 35mb and not 5mb as V8. And ekrn.exe sit at 130mb.

3. I see that the "Active Mode" under "Web access protection" in the Advanced Setup for e.g browsers is gone now.

4. "About" is gone from the main GUI and put under "help and support", but still easy to access from the tray menu as always.

5. Anyone remember "Update now" ?

Guess what...It is back in the tray menu, it is now called "Virus signature database update...".

(Perhaps the poll results had something to do with "update now" making a comeback ..https://forum.eset.com/topic/1651-tray-menu-options-poll/ ).

Now, I don't remember the name but a new ESET process starts when you start "Banking & Payment protection" I will call it B&PP for short. And this B&PP process stayed in task manager even after I closed the browser. It wasn't resource hungry at all only 4-5mb. But shouldn't the B&PP process close down when I quit the browser ?

That's all for now I guess....so far so good  :)

Edited by SweX

SSL checking is ON by default and ESET's certificate is installed in Trusted root CA... 

Interesting. Are you sure ?

It wasn't enabled for me when I was in the Advanced Setup window. I don't use SSL scanning, so if it would have been enabled I would have disabled it, but I didn't need to do that as it was disabled by default for me. Maybe it depends on what OS you install ESET on ?  :unsure:

• Former ESET Employees

where to find a version in Portuguese of Brazil? and another because never change an interface from all other anti virus change their interface
He did a year

Beta is english only but the final release will be localized to portuguese (Brazil)

please tell us will we still be able to use our old UN-USED lic keys (i have some boxed versions i ordered from newegg when they are on sale and i hang onto them to use as needed) in this version i saw a few people saying (not from eset just on general forums) they were changing the way it activates and we would not be able to use the older lic's anymore? please clarify for sure for us, thank you

Yes, you can still use unused license keys for v9 activation.

• Former ESET Employees

It wasn't enabled for me when I was in the Advanced Setup window. I don't use SSL scanning, so if it would have been enabled I would have disabled it, but I didn't need to do that as it was disabled by default for me. Maybe it depends on what OS you install ESET on ?  :unsure:

SSL scanning is turned on by default, except for Windows XP

SSL scanning is turned on by default, except for Windows XP

There we go, that explains it. Thank you Martin  :D

Hello dear Eset Team,

everything is running well, after 2nd install and not so much switching around. :)

Great product.

I like the new green switches, which are showing if the modules are running or not. :wub:

That's great and give a safe feeling... while computer using.

After 2nd install, Hips wasn't starting undelayed.

It needed first a reboot... But maybe it wasn't a clean install... i had prob's with uninstalling before... :unsure:

I have added a pic, with marking, what i like in new gui(maybe my english isn't the best):

But background colour, look's bad for Windows 8...

Maybe you should use grey, only for Tablet's. ^_^

post-7467-0-02513800-1432886103_thumb.png

Edited by AndyX28

• Most Valued Members

One thing that I'd love is an option to always ignore (create an exception) in antivirus scan results.

Basically when you finish a scan you have the option to delete/add to quarantine, to clean if possible and also to ignore. The ignore option is just ignore once, it would be nice if you could add the file into your exceptions within the scan results rather than having to go into the exception area and add it in manually, as some people might not be sure how to do this. It would make things a lot easier/quicker.

Why not like this?  :D

That looks like a copycat of the old (v8) one  :lol:

The GUI in V9 is brand new...and it's actually quite nice once you learn the ins and outs of it.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded if they had kept the old one (v8 and earlier) since it was close to perfect in my eyes. But the new one isn't bad either.  :)

Edited by SweX

Or add on Homescreen, an pulsating Worldmap... that shows Eset live Grid connection. Some information about connection, and what latest threats that can defeat Live grid....  ^_^

Edit: I made with paint a little example.  

post-7467-0-19178300-1432908408_thumb.png

Edited by AndyX28

Or add on Homescreen, an pulsating Worldmap... that shows Eset live Grid connection. Some information about connection, and what latest threats that can defeat Live grid.... ^_^

Edit: I made with paint a little example.

Good idea, this is some kind of Live Grid world statistics. These statistics can be displayed in other secton not really on Home Screen.