ERA6 - differences between Remote Administrator Components Upgrade, and doing it manually

Hi folks

With the two previous releases of ERA6 (US, and initial global), I was updating remote agents using a "Run command" task, specifically this one:

msiexec /qr /i "hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/era/agent/v6/6.1.xxx.0/Agent_x64.msi"ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress P_CONNECTION_CHOSEN=Host P_HOSTNAME=xxxxx.co.uk P_PORT=xxxxxx

(I had a separate task for 32-bit)

All worked great.

With the latest release of ERA6 I've switched to using the "Remote Administrator Components Upgrade" task, as that seems to be the preferred option (and certainly seems that it's designed for specifically this purpose). It works for most clients, but if a client is sitting with a "reboot pending", the task fails.

Many of my users are in the habit of putting their computer to sleep at night, they don't switch off, so it can sometimes take nearly a week for them to reboot. During this time, the Remote Administrator Components Upgrade task will fail.

Out of interest, for my clients in this state i have just triggered a manual "Run Command" task, as shown above - and all client have immediately been updated to 6.1.444 succesfully.

So, my question. Given that I can upgrade the agent succesfully via msiexec, and the agent doesn't need a reboot, what is it about the Remote Administrator Components Upgrade task that will cause the agent update to be blocked if a reboot is pending? And is this something we can have control over? That task does have a "reboot if necessary" tickbox, but nothing else.

Many thanks

Jim

• ESET Staff

The only difference should be a check for error codes after installation completes or fails. Are you able to access agent's trace log on machine that is failing? And if possible also c:\windows\temp\era-updater-msiexec.log. There was issue earlier that did not handle required reboot and we would like to check if this is the case.

Hi michalp

I don't have access to the machines at the moment, but I do recall there being a message in the Windows Event log along the lines of "software cannot be installed as a reboot is pending". This is when using the remte component upgrade task. But when I use msiexec on the same machine, even with no reboots, this does not occur.

Jim