Feature Request - Custom module instal

• Most Valued Members

One big problem I've noticed with many security suites is that many seem to be getting too bloated as they try to do too much. One thing I have noticed is Eset has always been about quality rather than quantity, but sadly some people want as many features as possible. However I have an idea that if it could work could please everyone or at least most.

Generally a security suite comes with everything. Take Eset Smart Security - It comes with parental controls, although they can be disabled. Instead of disabling things what if the suite used some kind of module system so that when installing the suite users could pick and choose what modules to instal. For example people could choose not to instal the parental controls and could if need be instal it later if they change their mind. What this means is you could include features that some might not want but others would, without it affecting the people who don't want them, creating the first truly custom security suite.

I gather this would probably be too complicated to do but just wondered what people thought.

Edited by peteyt

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

component based installation is an option for ESET Endpoint Security (the suite for business users), for home users it can cause more trouble than good in my opinion.

If you have the feature not integrated it does not cost you anything except of few KBs (possibly MBs) of storage and you can enable the features when needed.

P.R.

This has been requested/discussed in the past several times. Afaik, considering that ESET is a highly integrated product, not only for simplicity but also for system performance, it might not be easy to do this in a good and easy way without ruining the product as we know it today.

But then again, the Parental Control and a few of the other features that some users might disable/enable does not use that much additional disk space. I have always had Parental Control disabled and it works fine like this.

Personally, I would like to keep it as it is, unless there are good benefits that I don't know about that overweigh the current product concept of having everything tightly integrated.

Edit: P.R. was a bit faster.....

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

Hello,

component based installation is an option for ESET Endpoint Security (the suite for business users), for home users it can cause more trouble than good in my opinion.

If you have the feature not integrated it does not cost you anything except of few KBs (possibly MBs) of storage and you can enable the features when needed.

P.R.

Yeah one issue with doing this would be cost as I presume more features could mean a higher price which would be a problem for those not using specific features. I gathered it would be complicated to implement to.

Yeah one issue with doing this would be cost as I presume more features could mean a higher price which would be a problem for those not using specific features. I gathered it would be complicated to implement to.

Haha, yes, you're right. So we would also need a modular buying/paying system for each of every feature. :lol:

Well... j just kidding. That's not really what we want. :)