So ESET won't load .... startup or otherwise

So I have, for the past 35 days, been fighting with this software.

I have uninstalled and re-installed 5 times now with nothing working.

ESET will not auto-start (as I configured) and now if I try to load in the program manually it will not work.  if I try to end the process via the task manager it will block me out saying that the application has failed.

I would load a dump file but I can't load the program to reinstall.

The last time that I attempted to reinstall and run this program (as an administrator etc) it caused a blue screen windows error.  No other programs, that I currently use, have been acting oddly or wrong during this time frame.  i honestly feel that this purchase has been a big waste of money and time.

i hope that there is some sort of fix because I doubt i could get any sort of refund at this point.....

• Administrators

Not sure what you exactly mean by that ESET will not auto-start. Do you see ekrn.exe and egui.exe among running processes? Are you able to open the main gui via the shortcut in the Start menu?

Windows 7 is the os and there is no other software running for firewall. It is on a router firewall (so hardware firewall). Ekern.exe is in the processes. Egui.exe is not running.

When I do run egui.exe it will not load, it cannot be accessed and if I go to shut it down via task manager it says that I cannot and that access is denied.

Marco: no I cannot open via the start menu and the eset icon doesn't show in the tray window. I have tried loading egui.exe via start menu and via explorer

• Administrators

When I do run egui.exe it will not load, it cannot be accessed and if I go to shut it down via task manager it says that I cannot and that access is denied.

There's a contradiction in your statement. First you say that you cannot run egui.exe but at the same time you see it among running processes but cannot kill it. Due to self-defense, once it's running it cannot be killed which is expected. However, starting it via the Start menu should always work, even if no icon is display in the tray menu.

There's a contradiction in your statement. First you say that you cannot run egui.exe but at the same time you see it among running processes but cannot kill it. Due to self-defense, once it's running it cannot be killed which is expected. However, starting it via the Start menu should always work, even if no icon is display in the tray menu.

I understand what you are getting at.  The problem exists that the GUI for eset will not load.  when i do run the program (and don't force a shutdown of my user) it always gives me a "blue screen of death".  The latest one gave me a file association at least ... edevmon.sys (one of the driver files)

I also understand what you mean by its own self defence mechanism.  As a point, if I use the start menu to load up egui.exe once I access that program i can no longer access anything on the start menu.  Nothing is able to be selected or scrolled through.

Often times I have to force a log off (ctrl+alt+del) and if I don't do that I get blue screened.

Which version of ESET ?

Incase you use an earlier build you could try the latest one which is 8.0.312

When you uninstalled, did you on any of the 5 uninstalls try using the uninstaller in safe-mode ? 

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1432526635151#Win_7

And does it work now?

And BTW as far as I understand this is the important part:

when i do run the program (and don't force a shutdown of my user) it always gives me a "blue screen of death".

"not loading" is a nice term for a BSOD. So if you had mentioned this right in your first post there wouldn't be this confusing and maybe someone from ESET would be curios to get your memory dump for analysing.

And here are more information where to find these memory dumps.

• 3 months later...

Hi Marco:

Recently i deployed  eset endpoint 6 to my company computers via era, 

Some of my company client computer ESET will not auto-start, i can see the krn.exe but not egui.exe. and not able to open the main gui via the shortcut in the Start menu or even run as administrator.

And after i log off the computer, it's not able to restart(have to force restart ) and sometimes freeze during we use the computer .

Could you please help

thank you