Hi

Newbie here,

I wonder what does this result mean?

Please see the attached file

Thank you very much in advance for any information you can provide me

Came

post-7363-0-61796800-1431727485_thumb.jpg

Edited by camelia

The master boot record (MBR) is a part of your disks. It contains some information about the partitions on the disk and the bootloader.

As this bootloader can also be modified by malware ESET can scan the MBR.

As for the issue with the "error opening" message - this generally means that ESS can't access the file (or data) and can't scan it. This can have many reasons - e.g. a file is blocked by a process which is actually using it.

In this case this may be because ESS didn't have the necessary rights to read the MBR. So maybe scanning as administrator can prevent the message from appearing and everything will be scanned.

Additionally it seems you're using an older version of ESS. As new versions of ESS contain enhanced security features I highly recommend you to upgrade to the latest version.

Edited by rugk

• Most Valued Members

you can use your existing license to the new version.

also the "error opening" it could also mean that the files are used/locked by a windows or another process and thus they can't be opened. stay safe that they are always scanned during startup or shutdown of the pc.

Yes hiberfil.sys (for hibernate) and pagefile.sys (for paging of course, it's a swap file) are usually blocked by Windows.

However these files are not scanned at shutdown or startup - or if ESS tries it they are surely blocked like they are if you d an on-demand scan.

Edited by rugk

The master boot record (MBR) is a part of your disks. It contains some information about the partitions on the disk and the bootloader.

As this bootloader can also be modified by malware ESET can scan the MBR.

As for the issue with the "error opening" message - this generally means that ESS can't access the file (or data) and can't scan it. This can have many reasons - e.g. a file is blocked by a process which is actually using it.

In this case this may be because ESS didn't have the necessary rights to read the MBR. So maybe scanning as administrator can prevent the message from appearing and everything will be scanned.

Additionally it seems you're using an older version of ESS. As new versions of ESS contain enhanced security features I highly recommend you to upgrade to the latest version.

Thank you very much for your information :wub:

I had attached an USB stick when I did the scan, could it be ESS was reporting an MBR error reading of this media, because it is marked as MBR sector of the 2, My HDD is MRB sector of 1, Am I right?  :unsure:

Why I should upgrade? I am happy with ESS V. 5.2.15.0, where can I learn more about ESS V.5 vs ESS V.8?

It's a hard task to setup my rules and zones, since I prefer a clean install every time I upgrade an AV, also the ESS configuration can't be import as .XML in order to restore the settings in ESS newest versions :angry:

I tried ESS V. 6.0.316.0 but the first time I installed always ends with an error updating its database :angry:

Last question do you know if there is a boxed version of ESS 8?

Is ESS 2015 Version 8?

Thanks you very much in advance for any help you can provide me

Came

Edited by camelia

I had attached an USB stick when I did the scan, could it be ESS was reporting an MBR error reading of this media, because it is marked as MBR sector of the 2, My HDD is MRB sector of 1, Am I right?  :unsure:

Yes this can be. If you want to look what device is "physical disk n" then look in the disk management of Windows. There you can see what device is "causing" the problem.

Why I should upgrade? I am happy with ESS V. 5.2.15.0, where can I learn more about ESS V.5 vs ESS V.8?

The recent ESET versions introduced many new features like Live Grid, Advanced Memory Scanner, Exploit Blocker, Anti-Theft. More about these features you can e.g. red here or here.

As for a list of new changes  of v8 over v7 you can find them here. If you want to you will also find changelogs from the older versions in this forum.

At first you don't have to uninstall the older version of course so you could stick with your settings. However if you want to do a clean install that's no problem, as you're wrong, because you can indeed export and import the configuration of ESS in a XML:

post-3952-0-37423900-1409850042_thumb.png
So I hope your upgrade to the new version will be successful. If not a system restore point should have been created and you can use it to restore the previous state. (You can of course also manually create one before.)

And yes there is a boxed version (just look in a shop of your choice, also many online shops) and yes ESS 2015 is ESS v8 (ESS 2015 is the "marketing name" for ESS 8).
However keep in mind that you don't have to buy a new version as you can upgrade for free with a valid license of ESS.
Edited by rugk

• 2 weeks later...

It's crazy Camelia (and others too, probably) is still using such an old version of ESS (5.2.15.0) and she even tried upgrading to version 6.0.316.0 previously but didn't have good results, got frustrated and stayed with her working (though outdated) version of ESS.

I don't understand why ESET would even allow users to keep using such old versions and not force them to upgrade (without any cost, of course). It's vital to get/use the latest version of ESET to stay protected in today's world.  :huh: 
Maybe ESET can consider adding wizards/automated hand holding to help newbs/non power users to convert over to the newest version of ESET and import any settings/customization's so the frustration is taken out of the upgrade process.

If anyone could design a flawless wizard to automate the upgrade process (and import previous version settings) it would be the brainiacs at ESET. 

• Most Valued Members

it's very easy to update with the in product mechanism or by downloading the full package. but people are used to the old  stuff and they won't let go

@Sonoran Desert

No not forcing users - that wouldn't be good. You can convince users to upgrade to a new version, but this is the only thing which you should do. The user should know that it's a goo decision to do so and not complain about an forced upgrade process.

There may also be legitimate reasons to use older version - on the one hand for testing of course, but this might be quite rarely. But on the other hands newer version may not be compatible with older operation systems (like it happened with v8, which isn't compatible with Win XP SP2 or lower).

Another reason might be if the upgrade to the newer version fails or something isn't working afterwards. If the user then installs the older version (if he is able to do it, because he maybe found the old installation file on his disk somewhere) then he would be instantly after installing (or maybe worse - already during installing) forced to upgrade to the newest version with no alternative. And of course this new version fails to install.

So no don't force the user - let him the decision. It's his computer, it's his security he has to know what he wants to do. Educate him, convince him, help him, but please don't force him!

So yes you could redesign the upgrade messages or make more clear why an update is important or differently spread the information about a new upgrade - that's okay and it may help the user, but he should still be asked what should happen on his own device.

And for what it's worth ESET already has a kind of "automatic upgrade wizard". It's just that the user has to do one click and ESET will upgrade itself completely automatically.