ESET failed updating when my computer wake from sleep

Hi guys. My computer is a Windows 8.1 x64, fresh install, and ESET Smart Security, last version (demo version). Yesterday i opened a ticket with ESET support (San Diego), because ESET Spain couldn't help me. ESET support in USA were very friendly and they connect remotely to my computer. My problem is when my computer sleeps (usually after 30 min. of inactivity), and i wake it. ESET in these situations fails to update its virus database, showing "Server not found"

ESET support tried different scheduled tasks, and only results if they create an Update every 01 minute, repeteadly, as soon as it's possible. Unfortunately, they told me it's not a good solution cause the great bandwidth.... 

I've tried all the possible solutions, but nothing works.

hxxp://malwaretips.com/threads/eset-ss-updates-failed.44755/(i'm not the only with this issue)

Loves ESET, but this issue is a bit annoying...

Thanks for your support

Best regards

Miguel Angel

post-7237-0-75308800-1430471217_thumb.png

• Administrators

If it takes longer to establish a connection, there's no solution to this at the moment. The product will update automatically in 60 minutes or you can run update manually once Internet connectivity has been established.

It's because the product (ESS) checks for updates when you wake it up, but it does it before a connection has been fully established. When it happens just open the GUI and press the update button manually when you have a working connection and the update will be downloaded. Or wait for the next scheduled update that will happen automatically 60 min later.

hxxp://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/updating-failed-when-pc-is-sleeping.336958/ Curiously, i've found a post of mine, three years ago (ESET 5) with the same problem....

I suggest to include a new schedule task that update inmediately virusdatabase if there is some error or adding some delay to update process. 

Thanks (i hope that i haven't to wait 3 years more  :D )

• Administrators

I suggest to include a new schedule task that update inmediately virusdatabase if there is some error or adding some delay to update process. 

These have been implemented a long time ago. If establishing a connection takes too long, ekrn cannot wait forever. Of course, we'd like to make some improvements in this regard in future versions.

• Most Valued Members

These have been implemented a long time ago. If establishing a connection takes too long, ekrn cannot wait forever. Of course, we'd like to make some improvements in this regard in future versions.

perhaps you could make ekrn test every couple of minutes if connection to a specified address is feasible and then start a new check for signature update if it could successfully connect to that address.

that way it won't have to wait for another 60 minutes.

Thanks. I don't thinks that establishing my connection takes too long. In fact, i never had problems with Emsisoft or Kaspersky... 

Edited by Malaque

perhaps you could make ekrn test every couple of minutes if connection to a specified address is feasible and then start a new check for signature update if it could successfully connect to that address.

that way it won't have to wait for another 60 minutes.

I agree, It seems a nice idea.

I really can't believe nothing has been done about this. I have Windows 8.1 on desktop with SSD, and my laptop hdd, Eset fails with Fastboot enabled almost everytime.

Desktop starts in 4 seconds but the lappy doesn't in fact the wifi signal comes on full strength before the Eset logo and it database update failed ! mark.

I tried again with the latest build that doesn't seem any different to the previous.

I have over a year subs left and have used Defender without issue or infection since Windows 8 was launched

Which annoys me a little.

I really can't believe nothing has been done about this. I have Windows 8.1 on desktop with SSD, and my laptop hdd, Eset fails with Fastboot enabled almost everytime.

Desktop starts in 4 seconds but the lappy doesn't in fact the wifi signal comes on full strength before the Eset logo and it database update failed ! mark.

I tried again with the latest build that doesn't seem any different to the previous.

I have over a year subs left and have used Defender without issue or infection since Windows 8 was launched

Which annoys me a little.

Well, i've found a partial solution (under testing)

- Create an update schedule task, named Logon Update

- Put that event trigger task should be "User logon" with interval 1 hour

- Next step, "Run the task as soon as possible"

It's better if you close session before your computer sleeps.

Also i've modified some parameters from task "Regular automatic update" as time (28 min. instead 1 hour), and if the task did not run "Run task as soon as possible"   

Edited by Malaque

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/emsisoft-anti-malware-emsisoft-internet-security-10-available.376071/#post-2489771

The Emsisoft method seems good. I reckon it's better and safer to wait a couple of minutes to make sure it works for all users, than the product tries to update immediately which may result in a failed update for some, and wait another 59min or so for the next automatic update check. 

(Unless the user perform a manual update right after the failed update.)

Though that is at boot, not sure how they do it at "wake from sleep" but I guess it's similar.

Edited by SweX

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/emsisoft-anti-malware-emsisoft-internet-security-10-available.376071/#post-2489771

The Emsisoft method seems good. I reckon it's better and safer to wait a couple of minutes to make sure it works for all users, than the product tries to update immediately which may result in a failed update for some, and wait another 59min or so for the next automatic update check. 

(Unless the user perform a manual update right after the failed update.)

Though that is at boot, not sure how they do it at "wake from sleep" but I guess it's similar.

I absolutely agree. The solution is so simple.... Maybe 15-20 seconds would be enough.

Edited by Malaque

• 4 months later...

Finally, after several years, this issue is fixed!! Thanks ESET.

From when? I had the same problem few days ago....

I think ESET has changed its update method. Since last program update (beta enabled), all is running fine.

• 6 months later...

Finally, after several years, this issue is fixed!! Thanks ESET.

From when? I had the same problem few days ago....

I think ESET has changed its update method. Since last program update (beta enabled), all is running fine.

I'm having this problem right now on ESET Endpoint Security v5.0.2260 on one DELL notebook.