AV-Test: 10 Mac OS X security packages put to the test

SweX

The legend that Mac OS X is supposedly invincible is not borne out by the facts. In the aftermath of major attacks by Flashback, the police Trojan Browlock or Shellshock, the number of assaults on Mac OS X continues to increase. That is why the AV-TEST laboratory tested 10 security packages for Mac OS X and even certified 9 of them.

hxxp://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/mac-os-x-under-attack-10-security-packages-put-to-the-test/

P.S

ECS/ECSP was not included this time.

But ESET was included in this round from September last year..... 

hxxp://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/mac-os-x-in-the-crosshairs-18-malware-scanners-put-to-the-test/

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

P.S

ECS/ECSP was not included this time.

But ESET was included in this round from September last year..... 

Aw, that's disappointing to not see ECSP there this time around.

The majority of the paid software products are not extravagant, but they are somewhat better equipped than the freeware solutions. Bitdefender offers the same level of extra features as the freeware solution from Sophos. Intego, Intel Security (McAfee) and Norton also include a firewall. Kaspersky is the only product to offer parental control. Otherwise there are individual extra features, such as file watchdogs, a password manager, a backup function or a blocker for network attacks.

The solutions from Symantec and Bitdefender detected all the malware threats without exception in the test, and put hardly any burden at all on the Mac OS X system. Symantec even includes a firewall and a file watcher as security-relevant extras.

If they included ESET Cyber Security Pro, Kaspersky wouldn't be the 'only' product to offer parental control - plus a firewall and even more protection.

It feels strange reading results like this without actually testing all of the most commonly used security products available. Wonder why they didn't continue to use the same products as last year (particularly ESET)?

It feels strange reading results like this without actually testing all of the most commonly used security products available. Wonder why they didn't continue to use the same products as last year (particularly ESET)?

I believe it is up to the vendors to choose if they want to participate or not. My guess would be that ESET said "no thanks" and that's why they're not included this time. I think ESET would perform similarly to last years test, but I agree it would be fun if they were included.