Eset 6 and Win 8.1

Does Eset 6 works on Win 8.1 preview at all? I failed with Eset 7 beta, so decided to switch back to Eset 6 but installation fails because of ehrdv service. So before I go insane and reinstall win 8.1, I would like to know if eset 6 supports it or not .

The same happened to me: v7 Beta crashed badly (BSOD) before completing the installation and I was left with a broken antivirus and no way to uninstall it.

However, NOD32 v6 did work on Windows 8.1 but gave me a HIPS driver error. To solve it, you have to choose "Pre-Release Virus Signatures", re-update virus signatures and restart Windows. Hopes it works for you.

Hey busekes

Eset Beta 7 is not fully compatible with the new update of windows 8 to 8.1 yet. But you have to wait for the next update of Eset beta 7,  then it will be ready to test on windows 8.1.

Regards, Janus

Hey webyonet, and wellcome !

Just my opinion, but I think it is wise not to run windows 8 new release (8.1) with any of Eset editions, old as new, because Eset have not yet announced full compatibility with windows 8.1 beta yet. In time there will be released an update of the modules without doubt, probably very soon.

Regards, Janus

Edited by Janus

Guest Joween18

Are you sure? ESET 6 worked? Co'z, I Reformatted my PC 3 times now, because of that Blue screen Error.. :(

I will be installing ESET SmartSecurity 6. :unsure:

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

ESET is in the process of testing compatibility of its software with Windows 8.1 Developer Preview Release (Build 9431).

If you are using the beta test build of ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7.0.28.0 on a computer running Microsoft Windows 8.0, I suggest enabling pre-release updates and performing an update to download and install the latest pre-release modules prior to upgrading the system to Windows 8.1

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I failed miserably with ESET 7.0.28 on Windows 8.1 Preview. Crashed spectacularly upon Windows startup. Had to refresh Windows 8.1.

Looking forward to ESET 7 compatibility with Windows 8.1 as I really like ESET Smart Security.

• Administrators

I wrote in another thread that V7 beta currently doesn't support Windows 8.1 PR. It will be supported in the next beta build.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

ESET Smart Security 7 Beta 2 (7.0.104.0) has been released with preliminary support for Microsoft Windows 8.1 Developer Preview Release (Build 9431).

Please download and install that and let us know the results of your continued testing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

as per the topic of this thread ... has anything changed with the compatibility of SS6 with W8.1 ?

• Administrators

As soon as Windows 8.1 is officially supported, it will be announced. Nonetheless, the current beta seems to work flawlessly on Windows 8.1 so far.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

ESET Smart Security 7 Beta 2 (7.0.104.0) has been released with preliminary support for Microsoft Windows 8.1 Developer Preview Release (Build 9431).

Please download and install that and let us know the results of your continued testing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

It doesn't work with  8.1

It doesn't work with  8.1

I think ESET would like more details than this, like if you see any, errors, messages etc etc.....

Hallo. Problems with ESET SS 7 beta and Windows 8.1 build 9600.

hxxp://prntscr.com/1p97ii

Log file:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<ESET>

<LOG>

<RECORD>

<COLUMN NAME="Time">

<DATE>04.09.2013</DATE>

<TIME>6:52:54</TIME>

</COLUMN>

<COLUMN NAME="Module">ESET Kernel</COLUMN>

<COLUMN NAME="Event">Virus signature database successfully updated to version 8760 (20130903).</COLUMN>

<COLUMN NAME="User"></COLUMN>

</RECORD>

<RECORD>

<COLUMN NAME="Time">

<DATE>04.09.2013</DATE>

<TIME>6:52:51</TIME>

</COLUMN>

<COLUMN NAME="Module">HIPS</COLUMN>

<COLUMN NAME="Event">Communication with driver failed. HIPS is inactive.</COLUMN>

</RECORD>

<RECORD>

<COLUMN NAME="Time">

<DATE>04.09.2013</DATE>

<TIME>6:48:15</TIME>

</COLUMN>

<COLUMN NAME="Module">HIPS</COLUMN>

<COLUMN NAME="Event">Communication with driver failed. HIPS is inactive.</COLUMN>

</RECORD>

</LOG>

</ESET>

• ESET Moderators

Hello Yacut,

HIPS is always adjusted for give kernel version in order to be able to protect.

We already have HIPS module 1095 with support for Windows 8.1 build 9600 and we are currently testing it. 

It will take some time to release it for all users.

In case you would like to replace it manually send me private message (registration is needed), I will provide you with instructions.

Log name: System

Source: Service Control Manager

Date: 04.09.2013 8:47:33

Event ID: 7030

Task category: none

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/a

Computer: VAIO

Description:

Service ' ESET Service "is marked as an interactive system configuration, but such services are not allowed. The service may not work correctly.

Xml Event:

<Event xmlns="hxxp://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7030</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-09-04T06:47:33.916328500Z" />

<EventRecordID>1024</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="648" ThreadID="1520" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>VAIO</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="param1">ESET Service</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• Administrators

If somebody is having issues with v7 on Windows 8.1 build 9600, try running update manually and restarting the computer. Should the problem persist, post information about installed modules here.

It looks like I spoke too soon. Even when the HIPS modules installed fine, I got a system crash and reboot a few minutes ago. It hadn't happened with just Defender. Maybe it's the advanced memory scanner playing it unfair with Windows 8.1, but that's just me guessing. The sure thing is NOD32 is not liking Windows 8.1 so much.

Note: I didn't know in which thread to post, so I posted in both, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

will eset 6 ever Support Windows 8.1 or is upgrading To eset 7 needed? 

Well i do Not Want Buggy ######, it must be stable Security software.

I am using Eset NOD32 v6 on Windows 8.1 X64 (RTM) and it works beautifully. Not a single glitch. You don't even have to enable pre-release updates. HIPS and everything work out of the box. Well done, Eset.

ESET SS 7beta Ver 7.0.104.0 seems to be working fine on my Windows 8.1 (RTM Ver 6.2.9200)

ESET SS 7beta prior to version 6.0.104.0 crashed my system, BSOD-performed clean install of Win8.1 and installed ESET SS 7beta (7.0.104.0) - all ok now

is it possible to upgrade eset 6 to eset 7 preview and windows 8 to windows 8.1 afterwards? So, windows upgrade wouldn´t be unprotected and still use prior eset rules and config somehow? import?

• Administrators

is it possible to upgrade eset 6 to eset 7 preview and windows 8 to windows 8.1 afterwards? So, windows upgrade wouldn´t be unprotected and still use prior eset rules and config somehow? import?

Installation of a newer version over an older one with settings preserved has always been supported.