Endpoint Antivirus 6.0 on a File Server and Clients (Optimization)

mprenter

Hi, we are having performance issues on our client machines since upgrading to Endpoint 6 from Endpoint 5.  I'm trying to go through the issues one at a time to see if they can be fixed through modifying the scanning parameters.  Our setup is that we have 2 file servers which store around 100 TB each.  They both have Endpoint Antivirus 6.0 installed on them with the "File Security for Windows Server" profile loaded from the Remote Administrator.  Then we have about 15 client computers which access those file servers.  These client computers also have Endpoint Antivirus 6.0 installed on them.

So my question is: in this situation, when a remote file is accessed from a client(let say opening an AutoCad file) does the server perform a scan AND the client perform a scan before the file is allowed to be opened?  Are there setting on the server that could be tweaked to increase performance in a situation like this?

Thanks,

Mark

• Administrators

Hello,

please try disabling real-time protection on a server and a client to see if it makes a difference. If so, enable real-time protection on either the server and the client, one at a time. Does disabling network drives in the real-time protection setup make a difference?

Hi, disabling real time protection on the server made a huge difference.  Disabling real time scanning on only the client did not make any noticeable difference.

Example:

With Endpoint 6 enabled on both server and client - Attaching an XLS spreadsheet to an email took 8-10 seconds.

With Endpoint 6 disabled on only the server - The attachment was instantaneous.

With Endpoint 6 disabled on client and enabled on server - The attachment still took 8-10 seconds.

Note - I used 3 separate spreadsheets for this test to rule out any caching, but they were all approx 500k in size.

Network drive scanning in the real-time protection was already disabled on both client and server.

Mark

Mark,

What v6 build are you running? Is your server a Windows 2003 box by any chance?

There is another thread on this forum where the same problem was reported - https://forum.eset.com/topic/4281-files-opening-very-slowly-over-network-from-client-pcs-to-server-after-upgrading-to-v6/

A solution that helped me was to go back to v5 on the affected servers.

So far ESET is holding a remarkable silence about this apparent bug.

Anton

Hi, disabling real time protection on the server made a huge difference.  Disabling real time scanning on only the client did not make any noticeable difference.

Example:

With Endpoint 6 enabled on both server and client - Attaching an XLS spreadsheet to an email took 8-10 seconds.

With Endpoint 6 disabled on only the server - The attachment was instantaneous.

With Endpoint 6 disabled on client and enabled on server - The attachment still took 8-10 seconds.

Note - I used 3 separate spreadsheets for this test to rule out any caching, but they were all approx 500k in size.

Network drive scanning in the real-time protection was already disabled on both client and server.

Mark

Hello Anton, the version of v6 we are running is 6.1.2222.0.  And YES, our servers are all Windows Server 2003 boxes!

Thanks for the suggestion and the confirmation of a problem with v6.   I was thinking of going back to 5 on the servers but it would be nice to stay current with ESET and I was hoping for a fix.

Mark

Mark,

Speaking about EFSW v6 (the server solution), ESET released a newer build 6.0.12035 on March 31st (it was 6.0.12032 before). Which one do you have on your 2003 boxes affected by the issue? If it is 12032 then you could try the latest build (35) before downgrading the servers back to v5. Perhaps it will have a positive effect in your environment, but I wouldn't expect too much because there was no word in release notes about fixing the issue with files opening very slow over network.

Anton

Hi, we're not running the file server solution.  Just the standard Endpoint Antivirus installed on servers and clients with the Admin console also on one of the servers.  Everything is 6.1.2222.0.

Mark

• Administrators

ESET Endpoint Antivirus and Endpoint Security are products for workstations, not servers. ESET File Security for Windows file servers is optimized for servers and also includes automatic exclusions recommended by Microsoft to prevent issues. As far as I know, EULA doesn't allow installation of desktop products on servers either.