how can I set up an install to run silently without using the push method from ERAS

Is the there a config.xml I can edit?

I found something like this...

'msiexec.exe /i eea_nt64_enu.msi admincfg="cfg.xml" /qb REBOOT="ReallySuppress"

where can I find that cfg.xml file to try it?

I have been able to pushout the ESET Endpoint Security using PDQ deploy (when ESET push fails)...but it prompts user for HOME/Network or Public after installing...
I don't want the users to see this...or the activate window..

msiexec.exe /i "ees_nt64_enu.msi" INSTALLED_BY_ERA=1 /qn /norestart /log output.log 

This worked fine.

Interestingly...if you do a -t PING during the install you will notice that you lose connection with the PC.

You cannot RDP nor PING the device, but still have network connectivity from the device itself...

My guess is there is a service that gets turned off until you answer the prompt about Network (HOME/WORK or Public).

Since I have suppressed this by using the "INSTALLED_BY_ERA=1" im guessing that you will not be able to RDP or ping until the Endpoint solution is activated ... AND using your default security policy...(ours turns off the firewall)

Is this correct?

• ESET Staff

Network connection should be momentarily lost during installation of firewall component and after installation, incoming connections are blocked by firewall itself (default settings). By deploying ERA Agent you will be able to manage EES - perform activation, set policy to turn firewall off.

Network connection should be momentarily lost during installation of firewall component and after installation, incoming connections are blocked by firewall itself (default settings). By deploying ERA Agent you will be able to manage EES - perform activation, set policy to turn firewall off.

Yes, but the point is that the firewall by default is turned ON, so the Activate Product task CAN NOT run!

Yes, but the point is that the firewall by default is turned ON, so the Activate Product task CAN NOT run!

Afaik the Clients (or on V6 the Agent) connecting the server, not vice versa. Afaik outgoing connections aren't blocked by default.

• 2 weeks later...

Well

Im over 600 installs in now and have come to the conclusion that it is easier for me to do the following:

1. Copy the ESET EES 32 bit or 64 bit MSI to the target devices.

2. Push the agent thru ESET

3. Deploy ESET using 3rd party software (PDQ Deploy) 

4. The activation and Database updates happen soon after Install of ESET EES

Since the install file was already copied ahead of time the PDQ deploy is basically just running a command to install...

WARNING!!

If you install ESET EES BEFORE the agent you will block yourself from being able to remote or PING the PC!

this is because the ESET Firewall will be ON!!!

Edited by dlaporte

What I found easy to deploy for our environment is the following:

1. Setup some kind of web server in your network, copy ESET MSI installers to the web server, and get the URL.

2. Setup Proxy for ESET and setup a policy to your workstation (For activation and virus definition updates)

2. Push agent (manually install or use PDQ Deploy)

3. Perform Software Install task through ERA and choose "Install by direct package URL", and use the URL of your local web server.

4. ESET products will talk to proxy server for activation and definition update.

Nice Zack

your way was a bit easier.

I have schools all across the Nation.

I chose to copy the MSI's to each schools DC, remote into the DC and then manually copy to each workstation.

seems like a lot, but only did 4 schools a week....some schools only have about 20 PC's..

• 5 weeks later...

To suppress any dialogs shown by EEA or EES after installation, you can use INSTALLED_BY_ERA=1 msi parameter.

good for that one. it is working pretty good

I wonder is there a way to add this parameter for installation with gpolicy from active directory ?

thanks