server 2008r2 hangs randomly after install EFS 6

Short Update:

No freezes so far, after installing MS Hotfix.

Protocol filtering is enabled.

Sounds good. We didn't notice any freeze after turning off service Columbus.exe. Hotfix didn't help in the past. From my side it's rather EFS vs. Columbus.

• 1 month later...

I am currently experiencing the same issue in Server 2012r2. Is there an equivalent hotfix for the 2012r2 OS? alternate solution?

Server seems to operate just fine until my users login and attempt to access their networked drives. The drives appear for an inconsistent amount of time at which point they lose their connection to the server, and the server becomes unresponsive both via RDP and from the server terminal. Only way to revive the file server is to do a hard reset. Temporarily disabling AV resolved the issue, however I cannot leave AV disabled. Please help!  

• 4 weeks later...

I applied the hotfix last thursday, and I have had the same issue again. I have had to disable the eset service to keep my network operational.

Can I disable Protocol Filtering from the Remote Admin Console? If so, where? I can't seem to find the setting.

We've had problems with Eset Mail Security for Exchange v6.2 so it would appear not all v6.2 products are fixed yet.... (although Eset are yet to respond to my thread, so as yet unconfirmed) but turning off Protocol Filtering appears to have worked for me on EMSXv6.2 although it'll take another week of no reboots to be sure.

Protocol Filtering is in the Web & Email section of the Advanced Settings. If you go to the Main Header for this, there is an On / Off slider button for this feature. (I also disabled Outlook Integration on mine in the email section - since it is on a Mail Server no-one runs Outlook on the Server itself).

Other thread with Server Crashes on Eset File Security for Windows Servers v6

My Thread with Server Crashes on Eset Mail Security for Exchange v6.2

Good Luck.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed EFS 6.2 on a client's 2008 server to replace Symantec Endpoint 11 (I think, whatever version was kicked to the curb in January of this year). My client has informed me that he is now having stability issues with the server and his NAS is now offline. I do not have a great deal of information about the server, except to say that it looks like the software has not been updated/upgraded since the original build in 2008.

Any of the original contributors to this thread have current updates regarding stability?

About three weeks ago, I upgraded our Windows 2008 R2 RDS system from EFS 4.5.12012.0 to EFS 6.2.12007.0 and ever since I have been experiencing this same issue.  Every 3-5 days our RDS server locks up and becomes unresponsive.  It fails ping and login requests and VMware console is also unresponsive.  Only a cold reset will revive the system to functioning state.  I have downloaded the Microsoft Hotfix KB2664888 but have not yet installed it as I was waiting for confirmation from ESET on whether or not this will fix the issue.  Can anyone confirm that the hotfix has fixed this issue?  I see nothing is the Change log for version 6.2.12007.0 that mentions this issue being resolved so I am confirming that this issue is not fixed yet.

• Administrators

About three weeks ago, I upgraded our Windows 2008 R2 RDS system from EFS 4.5.12012.0 to EFS 6.2.12007.0 and ever since I have been experiencing this same issue.  Every 3-5 days our RDS server locks up and becomes unresponsive.  It fails ping and login requests and VMware console is also unresponsive.  Only a cold reset will revive the system to functioning state.  I have downloaded the Microsoft Hotfix KB2664888 but have not yet installed it as I was waiting for confirmation from ESET on whether or not this will fix the issue.  Can anyone confirm that the hotfix has fixed this issue?  I see nothing is the Change log for version 6.2.12007.0 that mentions this issue being resolved so I am confirming that this issue is not fixed yet.

Instead of installing the hotfix, you can disable protocol filtering in the advanced setup if you don't browse the web or receive email as doing so will effectively disable http/pop3/imap communication.

Instead of installing the hotfix, you can disable protocol filtering in the advanced setup if you don't browse the web or receive email as doing so will effectively disable http/pop3/imap communication.

Is it a kind of permanent solution or ESET is working to resolve this? We are installing now hotfix at severs with this issue. Servers are working for the list 2 weeks. We also met this issues on server 2012.

We have the same problem on a Windows 2012R2 server with ESET Endpoint Security 6.2. Is there already a fix for this? Just disabled protocol filtering. However, i do want to turn this on asap as this is a RDS.

• 3 months later...

After installing hotfix KB2664888 on all of our 2008 servers and updating ESET to version 6.2.12007.0 problem disappeared. Servers are running withour issues for a last few months. Now I'm updating to version 6.3.12004.0 and will monitor servers.

We have the same problem on a Windows 2012R2 server with ESET Endpoint Security 6.2. Is there already a fix for this? Just disabled protocol filtering. However, i do want to turn this on asap as this is a RDS.

But as Mairnh we met the problem with server 2012 and EFS v 6.2. I've updated it and agent to v 6.3 and will monitor it. Are there any fix from Microsoft side?

• Administrators

But as Mairnh we met the problem with server 2012 and EFS v 6.2. I've updated it and agent to v 6.3 and will monitor it. Are there any fix from Microsoft side?

Windows 2012 has this issue already fixed so replacing network.dll is not needed. The issue shouldn't occur on this OS whatsoever. If it does, we'll need to get a complete memory dump from the frozen state.

• 1 year later...

We are seeing this issue on all of our Windows 2012 r2 and Windows 2008 R2 servers.  We are running ESET File Security 6.4.12004.0. 

Has an ESET fix been created for this?  We have a memory dump we can upload where needed.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Jason Fritts said:

We are seeing this issue on all of our Windows 2012 r2 and Windows 2008 R2 servers.  We are running ESET File Security 6.4.12004.0. 

Has an ESET fix been created for this?  We have a memory dump we can upload where needed.

If you have protocol filtering enabled in EFSW, do you have the Windows hoftix KB2664888 installed?