AV-Comparatives - File Detection Test March 2015

SweX

• ESET Insiders

Solid score for Eset at 98.6% which puts Eset towards the back of the list...that said Eset scored far less FP's than all but one other vendor.

Up the FP's to score a better detection result?

Avira for example, they would have got an "Advanced+" award if it wasn't for their FP rate, and because of the FPs, they got downgraded to "Advanced" (same grade as ESET).

Avira was not the only vendor that got downgraded due to FPs by the way. I only took them as the example as they got the highest detection rate alongside Kaspersky.

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

I've just been reading elsewhere on the internet that KL have a team dedicated to passing these tests. If indeed true, it makes a mockery of testing AV programs as if one is doing this, how many others are doing the same?

@TJP

It simply means that Kaspersky Lab and others have recognized the immense ramifications of these test results and therefore they are dedicating time, money and man power in order to detect even those "threats", which have little to no real-world value. People are regularly panicking and changing AVs over detection differences of 0,5 %. This is why companies are wasting resources in order to detect even the most insignificant supposed malware. It is not cheating.

• ESET Insiders

@FleischmannTV

It was likely a baseless comment (I read it on Wilder's) and I thought to ask here about if such things do occur in the AV industry. It is a great marketing tool to be #1 in test X, Y or Z.

Being a long time Wilder's Security member and mostly lurker nowadays, I too have watched people swap and change AV's based solely on the test scores of AV-C, AV-Test, Dennis Labs etc. It's great comedy and a little worrying at the same time :)

Being a long time Wilder's Security member and mostly lurker nowadays,   :)

Haha we have a couple of trolls you could come and take care of it you like.  

Oh not anymore! 3 members got banned from Wilders. And one of them is a member here on this forum.

I too have watched people swap and change AV's based solely on the test scores of AV-C, AV-Test, Dennis Labs etc. It's great comedy and a little worrying at the same time

Yeah it's ridiculous to see that even some Wilders members react that way.  :(

Edited by SweX