ESET Endpoint Security - VPN Issue

kit

Since we've started using ESET Endpoint Security, we've had some users report issues establishing a VPN connection when working remotely. We are using Juniper Networks' Junos Pulse client for VPN. The error message that these users receive when attempting to connect to the VPN through Junos Pulse is:

Failed to setup virtual adapter. (Error:1205)

We don't believe this is happening for all users, but we've also experienced it when configuring and setting up a brand new computer for the first time. I did reach out to Juniper Networks and they advised increasing the MaxNumFilters registry key from 8 to 14, but that did not resolve the issue. The MaxNumFilters registry key is located here.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\

Juniper Networks claims that third party firewall software can also cause this error since it might be blocking the install of the virtual adapter. To test this, we uninstalled ESET Endpoint Security from a computer that was having this issue and then tried to make a VPN connection again. This time it worked and we were able to establish a connection to the VPN. We then reinstalled ESET Endpoint Security and found that we could still connect to the VPN without any issues. So, it appears something in ESET may be preventing the install of the virtual adapter. As long as we establish a VPN connection before installing ESET, we don't have any issues. 

I'm not sure where to go from here. We are not using the firewall part of ESET Endpoint Security, as we are using Windows' built-in firewall. Is there anything else in ESET Endpoint Security that would cause this issue? Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Please let me know if you need further information.

• Administrators

Since this could be a tough task to troubleshoot here, I'd suggest contacting Customer care. To start off, try the following, one at a time and see if it helps:

1, disable firewall via gui,

2, change firewall integration to "Scan only application protocols" and restart the computer,

3, disable ESET Lightweight filter in your network adapter setup.

Since this could be a tough task to troubleshoot here, I'd suggest contacting Customer care. To start off, try the following, one at a time and see if it helps:

1, disable firewall via gui,

2, change firewall integration to "Scan only application protocols" and restart the computer,

3, disable ESET Lightweight filter in your network adapter setup.

Hi Marcos,

We actually have the Firewall part of ESET Endpoint Security disabled in our policy, as we are using the built-in Windows Firewall. I also checked the ESET Lightweight filter option under both Ethernet and Wireless adapters, and found that it was already disabled (the option is unchecked). I assume this option is disable already because we are not using ESET's firewall. I can reach out to Customer Care as well, but do you have any other ideas in the meantime? Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to mention that installing v5.1.2  of Junos Pulse seemed to resolve this issue for us.