Not Loading CSS & JS files, Breaking Webpages in Safari

Go to solution Solved by planet,

• Most Valued Members

Very recently, webpages are not loading or are not loading fully.

Safari's Web Inspector shows that the webpage trying to load JS and CSS files do not work and gives this error message.

Failed to load resource: The network connection was lost.

Some websites that always seem to have trouble include DeviantArt and Photobucket. I can list more if needed.
If you uninstall Cyber Security, they load correctly instantly. If you install Cyber Security again, update with pre-release, then restart the Mac, the issue comes back.

This wasn't happening in Cyber Security until today, so it might be that one of the recent module updates is causing this... particularly the "Protocol scanner module  1173B.4 (20150331)" as previous modules in Cyber Security (and Pro) did not have a 'B.x' format while it was working.

Had the same issue with Endpoint Security for OS X, so I uninstalled that and installed Cyber Security instead. Didn't have an issue with Cyber Security until today and I suspect I will have the same issue in Cyber Security Pro.

Here is what Cyber Security has now (info for Endpoint Security for OS X is on another post).

Update module  1056 (20150113)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module  1452 (20150331)
Virus signature database  11470P (20150414)
Archive support module  1224 (20150401)
Advanced heuristics module  1154 (20150129)
Cleaner module  1107 (20150401)
Translator module  1329 (20150326)
Protocol scanner module  1173B.4 (20150331)
Database module  1064 (20150303)
Mac setting module  1001 (20131204

Might try going back to regular release modules/VSD and see if it is occurring on that too.

Edited by planet

• Most Valued Members

Yes, can confirm that pre-release modules for Cyber Security (and Pro) are currently causing this issue... most likely the protocol scanner module or possibly a different one.

This explains why it is happening with Endpoint Security for OS X as it initially comes with a module that has the issue already and continues to do so today on both the regular and pre-release options. 

Here are the regular release modules/VSD that do not have this issue (Cyber Security):

Update module 1056 (20150113)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module 1452 (20150331)
Virus signature database 11471 (20150414)
Archive support module 1223 (20150323)
Advanced heuristics module 1154 (20150129)
Cleaner module 1107 (20150401)
Translator module 1322 (20150226)
Protocol scanner module 1164.1 (20150320)
Database module 1064 (20150303)
Mac setting module 1001 (20131204)
Edited by planet

• 2 weeks later...

Planet thank you for your post here, you've helped me finally realize the issue that has stumped me for over a week or so.

We've been using 6.0.24.0 on Mac OS X Yosemite and recently migrated our entire ESET environment to version 6.

We use ERA to deploy policies, configurations, tasks, etc. and I was constantly making updates to Protocol Scanner settings, allowed exceptions, excluded from checks, Web Access Protection settings, you name it and the problem still occurred, we experienced the same issue where CSS and JS files were not being retrieved, same error you mentioned above in Safari only, doesn't seem to be an issue with any other browser. The odd thing here is we are able to hit the site successfully using hxxp://domain.comand HTTPS://domain.com but when we just enter domain.com the issue occurs. So like you said, certainly the protocol scanner would be the culprit.

I even tried downgrading to 6.0.18.1 and the problem still occurs, when you first install ESET and it is up and running the problem does NOT occur, but if you restart the machine then the problem occurs.

Hopefully ESET can pull something together for this bug here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members
  • Solution

Planet thank you for your post here, you've helped me finally realize the issue that has stumped me for over a week or so.

You're welcome poiriern1!

An update, now the latest regular and pre-release updates for the 'Protocol scanner module' has resolved this issue but I needed to restart the Mac for changes to take effect and for websites to load correctly again.

Edited by planet