During execution of Update - Server not found

kit

We receive the following alert almost daily for a lot of our computers running ESET Endpoint Security v6:

4/13/2015 9:02:50 AM - During execution of Update on the computer COMPUTER-NAME, the following event occurred: Server not found.

This always seems to happen when a user first turns on their computer in the morning and logs in. Our update policy is configured to perform an update every 60 minutes. We disabled the option to check for an update after user logon and update after dial-up connection, but we still receive these alerts. Is the regular automatic update every 60 minutes causing this error?

My guess is ESET is trying to check for updates before the computer actually has a network connection. Is there a way to delay the checking of updates by a few minutes after log in? Or is there another way to fix this issue?

Thank you!

• Administrators

An automatic update is performed a couple of minutes after ekrn.exe starts and it takes longer for the computers in your network to connect to the Internet. At the moment, there's no solution to this as computers are normally already connected to the Internet when first update is attempted and I don't recall any complaints that the delay was too short. Have you measured how long it takes to establish an Internet connection since Windows starts loading?

An automatic update is performed a couple of minutes after ekrn.exe starts and it takes longer for the computers in your network to connect to the Internet. At the moment, there's no solution to this as computers are normally already connected to the Internet when first update is attempted and I don't recall any complaints that the delay was too short. Have you measured how long it takes to establish an Internet connection since Windows starts loading?

Hi Marcos,

Thank you for the explanation. We haven't measured how long it takes our computers to establish a connection yet. I'll see if we can do this and report back, but I imagine this is going to vary based on the speed of the computer and start-up items. 

• 4 weeks later...

I did some more digging and found that this error is being generated by computers that resume from sleep mode. Is there a way to configure ESET to not check for updates when a computer resumes from a sleep state?

• 8 months later...

I got dozens of laptops moving from my network and I got spammed  with this message "During execution of Update on the computer COMPUTER-NAME, the following event occurred: Server not found." I got over 30 mails daily.

Please make some option to disable this future, or to choose on which computers to send mails regarding this message or to have option to group mails into one.

• Administrators

I got dozens of laptops moving from my network and I got spammed  with this message "During execution of Update on the computer COMPUTER-NAME, the following event occurred: Server not found." I got over 30 mails daily.

Please make some option to disable this future, or to choose on which computers to send mails regarding this message or to have option to group mails into one.

You should use dual update profiles - one for update in your company's LAN and the other for update from ESET's servers when outside of LAN.

Isn't any option to set only to check updates when user is logged on or something like that? Because I got mails from PC that are in network too and don't know why these mails come.

Edited by Orion

• Administrators

There are 2 update task - one is run every 60 minutes (regular automatic update) and the other is run after a user logon. Since it's important to keep ESET updated all the time, disabling the regular update task is not an option. I'd suggest using ERA to manage computers and monitor the status of updates instead of using SMTP notifications send out by clients.