KB3035583: Windows Update is an adware/PUA/PUS/PUP for Windows 10 upgrade

rugk

Recently the mystic Windows update KB3035583 was released. It's a "recommend" update, which means it normally must be explicitly checked to download it. However you can also configure WIndows update to automatically download recommend updates.

The update KB3035583 "enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1" based on their own description.

Now a German magazine reports (English translation by Google Translator or Bing Translator) that it's an "downloader" for Windows 10 which will show several notification to encourage users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10.

Edited by rugk

Oh really :huh: ? I kind of wondered about that one-at first I had trouble getting info about it :blink: (N/A). So I held off. Then in the next day or two info all of a sudden became available (it said something vague about "updates"). I guess maybe we'll keep a close eye on it. :ph34r:

Thanks rugk

4-5-15 EDIT: I decided to uninstall it and try to find out more about it.

Edited by TomFace

I got a blue screen of death after being forced to install this update -.- Decided to uninstall it right away. Haven't had any problems with my laptop in a long time until this thing popped up.

This is interesting, before it was listed as "optional", now is shown as "important" in windows update ("recommended" once you "hide" it).

Edited by TomFace

Okay, so maybe this will now be installed by default. (as important updates are automatically installed)

"which will show several notification to encourage users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10."

If we change out the word "notifications" to Ads it sounds so much worse, and wrong. People shouldn't need to be convinced to update, if Win 10 is good enough people will update anyway since it's a Free upgrade after all, providing it actually is better than the OS they currently use, and that remains to be seen. It's up to MS to show their users that they "still got it".

I have no burning desire to go to Win 8.1 let alone 10. Since my next PC will be a MAC. :P

Edited by TomFace

Here is now also a English article about this update:

Update for Windows 7 and 8.1 silently installs Windows 10 downloader

And I tested the installation now in a VM and no it's still an "recommend update". However as I already said also recommend updates are downloaded like other updates if the option in Windows updates is enabled. And AFAIK this option is enabled by default and so many users will get this update.

post-3952-0-96878900-1428318020_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-07571500-1428332332_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

Ok here's the latest-I installed KB3035583, then took it back out. Then thinking about it, I re-installed it to see what it would do. Late last night I got an update notification for KB3021952, KB3004375, KB3031432 and KB3032359. These updates were installed previously on 2/11/15 and 3/10/15. So I'm guessing they're related to KB3035583??

Edited by TomFace

BTW it's also interesting to look into the (language) strings of the file GWX.exe. There you can find two parts which are translated in nearly every language. In English these are:

post-3952-0-20803600-1428442690_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-59370500-1428442690_thumb.png

There are some interesting things to note:

1. There are not only strings for Windows 10 ("Get Windows 10"), but also strings like "Get Windows 7 SP1" and "Get Windows 8.1". However of course they don't have to be used. Especially it's strange as Windows 7 SP1 is the "oldest" OS for what the update was released so to get Windows 7 SP1 on a Windows 7-system with SP1 is quite senseless.
  2. There seems to be button (or menu entry or whatever) labelled "Show Advertisements". So I can click on a button to show me ads?
  3. Then I can confirm that you surely will be able to reserve a free Windows 10 upgrade. So far nothing new. But it's interesting to note that there is also a string called "Unreserve". :)
    And of course the user can also check his reservation information. :)
Edited by rugk

Now there is a new one KB2952664 released 4-7-15

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664

Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
print-icon-white.png"This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."

Yeah, not sure if that's related to Win10 upgrade as well. Hid both KB2952664 and KB3035583. The GWX exe file Is basically Get Windows X (roman numeral for 10).

What other KB updates have you folks hidden?

Edited by Morisato

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

To me, the problem of upgrade to Windows 10 is that blue screen problem. When I upgrade my Windows 8 to Windows 10, I found it starts blue screen, then I searched on google to get solution. Computer program instruction is not works for me. A simple tool is much useful. Here is the solution details: hxxp://bit.ly/1eEINHz 

• 1 year later...
On 2015/7/31 at 11:27 AM, korence said:

To me, the problem of upgrade to Windows 10 is that blue screen problem. When I upgrade my Windows 8 to Windows 10, I found it starts blue screen, then I searched on google to get solution. Computer program instruction is not works for me. A simple tool is much useful. Here is the solution details:

In my opinion ,such as the Windows system upgrade program, it is easy to cause the system reset (Login password and files loss) , i have encountered it .just in case , you have to know how to avoid it