memory usage in NOd32 64 bit in windows 8.1

karthik

HI,

I could see the memeory usage for my laptop is very huge for the nod32 process and based on the earlier forums, i have created a dump file which comprise of around 270 MB for your analysis.

Let mek now how and where to upload that dump file for your analysis.

Rgds,

karthik

• 2 weeks later...

I find it really surprising that you care about memory usage. With people having at least 4 to 8 GB RAM these days, and AV using 50 MB to 300 MB is no big deal as long as it's light on your system. Memory usage is not what determine if an AV is light or not it is how it handles real time file scanning that is the main factor I really surprises me that at this day and age people still jude an AV's lightness in terms of " oh my!! it is using 200 MB of RAM WOW" Let it use all it needs as long as your system is light and runs fast.

I find it really surprising that you care about memory usage. With people having at least 4 to 8 GB RAM these days, and AV using 50 MB to 300 MB is no big deal as long as it's light on your system. Memory usage is not what determine if an AV is light or not it is how it handles real time file scanning that is the main factor I really surprises me that at this day and age people still jude an AV's lightness in terms of " oh my!! it is using 200 MB of RAM WOW" Let it use all it needs as long as your system is light and runs fast.

It really depends on the user's system specs. I have an old specs PC with Windows Vista installed in it and it only has 2GB ram. Imagine if ESET utilizes 300 MB of my memory, it can be somehow quite intensive to my ram. However, ESET of course won't bloat my system, no slow down and low impact. :)

Edited by yongsua

It really depends on the user's system specs. I have an old specs PC with Windows Vista installed in it and it only has 2GB ram. Imagine if ESET utilizes 300 MB of my memory, it can be somehow quite intensive to my ram. However, ESET of course won't bloat my system, no slow down and low impact. :)

Wow, ok fair enough. and I thought my 32 GB of DDR3 1866MHz. RAM in my Alienware 18 is too little. LOL

It is indeed a big deal if the product is not meant to use more than 100-120MB like ESS/NOD32. If it uses 300MB then it means there is a problem. And if there is a leak, chance is it wouldn't stop at 300MB but continue to increase all the time if allowed, even to GB size in some cases.

"Memory usage is not what determine if an AV is light or not"

That's correct, and can actually not be said enough. But the size of the program and databases ESS/NOD32 vs heavy lifters like KIS, BIS, could be reflected on the RAM usage if they are loaded in RAM like ESET. ESS is a tiny tight package compared to them.

If KIS would use 250MB it would be quite normal (unless things have changed)

But if ESS would use that much, it indicates that there is a problem.

Avast on the other hand flushes the ram by design so it will rarely go above the 5MB mark. (unless things have changed)

So there is more than one thing that can be connected to the RAM usage of a product.