Poor AV-TEST Results

I thought I had purchased a class leading product but ESET Smart Security's performance in the February 2015 AV-TEST is dismal.

hxxp://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Of the 27 products tested, ESET Smart Security ranked a lowly 20th on protection and 19th on performance.

Even Avast Free Anti-virus beat ESET on protection.

Not happy!

Edited by GTBFiorano

A test is just a test. How long have you used ESET? What is your experience? Any significant impact on your system? Have you actually downloaded any current or zero day malware samples from malware disccussion forum such as malwaretips or any other legitimate sources to test its detection and compare other vendors' detection by yourself.? The best evidence is your own experience. Thank You. 

Edited by yongsua

• Most Valued Members

While you didn't link to the specific test you are commenting on it has been my experience that these tests vary wildly from month to month or even day to day. A lot depends on how the test was conducted and who preformed the test. A search for other tests conducted will produce results contrary to each other. For this reason and others I put very little value on so called AV testing results.

I base my evaluation of ESET SS on my real world experience, never infected for many years and low impact on resources,

Edited by SCR

• Administrators

I thought I had purchased a class leading product but ESET Smart Security's performance in the February 2015 AV-TEST is dismal.

Of the 27 products tested, ESET Smart Security ranked a lowly 20th on protection and 19th on performance.

Not happy!

Not happy with ESET's performance when it comes to zero-day malware detection? :)https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats

About AV-Test it's really strange how they get these performance results. But this was in every AV test like this so personally I don't care about this AV test result.

Instead of this many users can confirm that ESET runs very light on their system (see @SweX signature e.g.) and also AV comparatives confirmed this last year.

So these tests are really only a test. Trying out by yourself is always the best test.

Also have a look at this topic: Why does ESET always perform bad in AV tests?

Edited by rugk

While you didn't link to the specific test you are commenting on it has been my experience that these tests vary wildly from month to month or even day to day. A lot depends on how the test was conducted and who preformed the test. A search for other tests conducted will produce results contrary to each other. For this reason and others I put very little value on so called AV testing results.

I base my evaluation of ESET SS on my real world experience, never infected for many years and low impact on resources,

Well put SCR. ;)

The graph shows that ESET got one white "blob" less than Avast...it doesn't really say much does it ? And it's a very small difference compared to Win Defender. If they would only use a percentage graph (e.g 98%) when they display the results it would be easier for everyone to understand what they are looking at.

If you check the AV-Test results for ESET from the last couple of years you will find that they look more or less the same. Nothing we can do about that. But this time the ESET results is actually better than they used to be coming from AV-Test.

hxxp://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-8/february-2015/eset-smart-security-8.0-150655/

Protection against 0-day malware attacks, inclusive of web and e-mail threats (Real-World Testing)

208 samples used

• January - 97%
  • February - 100%
  • industry avg - 97%

Detection of widespread and prevalent malware discovered in the last 4 weeks (the AV-TEST reference set)

12,207 samples used

• January - 99%
  • February - 99%
  • industry avg - 99%

The performance test results is not worth to comment on as history have shown that it can vary from user to user, and maybe even more from testing org to testing org.

And like others have said, this is just one test, how a product runs on your system is more important.

Edited by SweX

hxxp://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Not happy!

On the contrary Eset is rank #1 by AV Comparatives which is a much more reputable company. I have tried just about everything out there and I find Eset to be the lightest. 

hxxp://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/avc_per_201410_en.pdf

Edited by LabVIEW707

@LabVIEW707

Yeah, like I said...

1. AV comparatives...
  2. and many users...

say ESET is very light. :)

@LabVIEW707

Yeah, like I said...

1. AV comparatives...
  2. and many users...

say ESET is very light. :)

True dat! Also Eset is top choice in several countries according to the latest survey taken. 

hxxp://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/security_survey2015_en.pdf

Edited by LabVIEW707

Interesting reading there. Thanks for that. As for question 16... I can't believe that CNET got so high score, but I'm probably biased :)

Wow great.

I think this is worth a new topic. So if you want to create one...

I thought about creating a dedicated thread several days ago...but for some reason I totally forgot about it.  :rolleyes:

But now it's done: https://forum.eset.com/topic/4524-av-comparatives-security-survey-2015/

It's always interesting to read surveys like this one.

• ESET Insiders

So many AV products with A+ ratings are horrible system hogs in the real world for many users. I don't understand AV-Test scores as I can name several of their 'top' AV's (as of today - who knows in a week, month or years time which will be the test favourite) that I've tried that slow my PC to a crawl. The one AV 'winning' the majority of the tests causes the blue screen of death on my PC and it's the only product to do so.

First rule of thumb is to trust your own personal experience...it's why I'm back with Eset and couldn't be happier.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it funny how you're all comparing which AV is better when in the end, ESET has the least/fewest FALSE POSITIVES of them all. That I consider important when doing my scans (one of them anyway). Bitdefender may have all those scores but it has many FP's. Never even heard of 360 Antivirus (from China so I guess Qihoo?), and haven't used Kaspersky since a long time ago (someone needs to do a Kaspersky vs ESET comparison for performance).

Edited by Morisato

• ESET Insiders

Kaspersky since a long time ago (someone needs to do a Kaspersky vs ESET comparison for performance).

For what it's worth, AV-Comparatives rates Eset to have the least resource intensive anti-virus whilst Kaspersky is part of their 'second tier' of products. I find rather generous given my own real world experiences.

I do not wish to slander or defame Kaspersky Labs as they kept my PC safe for many years. When KL changed their focus to releasing products on a yearly basis, I believe their QA went into the toilet and KIS became a resource hog. The 2014 internet security product became a chore to use - it noticeably slowed my PC's performance - at which point I changed back to Eset. My father is using the 2015 version of KIS and complains about the exact same issues I once did. My real world summation is that I found KIS has a noticable & detrimental performance effect on the PC's its installed on.

There is no doubt Kaspersky Labs earns great test results and there are plenty of happy customers on the official Kaspersky forum and on websites such as Wilder's Security Forums - KIS may work differently on other peoples PC's to mine.

Further, no anti-virus program is perfect; ESS has its share of faults too. That said, ESS is perfect for my PC set-up: it isn't a resources hog, provides very solid protection, doesn't install a host of useless add-ons such as browser plug-ins and Eset release highly stable software.

Edited by TJP

• ESET Insiders

I do hope someone from Eset can ascertain what the issue is with AV-Test as I'm seeing their reports being quoted more often; probably because the reports are sort into the various categories.

Unbeknown to my father, I removed KIS 2015 and installed the trial version of ESS; he called me 12 hours later, thanking me for fixing his PC as it was running a lot faster. I told him that he was using ESS and that I hadn't touched anything else :ph34r: Empirical data FTW :P