Computer information and Empty dynamic groups

I have ESET Remote Administrator Server and Agent installed and running on CentOS Linux release 7.0.1406 (Core)  Minimal. All prerequisites are installed. The Remote Administrator Agent is also installed on the clients and can successfully contact the server. 

In the web console, the status of the clients is inconsistent. Some show the Remote Agent icon badge, others do not. Some show the badge for a time until, for example, the computer is moved to a static group, at which point the Remote Agent badge disappears, along with the associated computer information. For example, OS Type = Mac OS X is not displayed. 

Sometimes the IP address associated with the computer is displayed next to the host name, then it will disappear over time. The DNS environment is functioning correctly and has a functioning reverse lookup. 

Dynamic groups also do not appear to function properly. Assigning a policy to a dynamic group will occasionally work. That said, a computer that belongs to the dynamic group will pick up the policy, but never appear in the group when going to Computers > All > Windows computers. 

Also, computers with the Remote Agent installed often do not report items like OS, Platform, etc. Some do, and others don't. I've noticed that Windows 7 computers will eventually show this data in the web console, while Mac OS X computers never do. This may be why some of them do not appear in the dynamic groups. Again, even if a system has these items listed, it might still not appear in the dynamic group. For example, a computer might have OS Type = Microsoft Windows, but it does not appear in any dynamic Group that includes this parameter. 

If a computer eventually appears in a dynamic group, restarting the host server will cause the ERA web console to show empty dynamic groups at the next login. 

Please advise. 

• ESET Staff

It seems that there is some inconsistency in databases on server and agents (internal counters that mark data that have been sent to server). This can happen if there were agents on computers that were reverted from backup (e.g. virtual machine snapshot) or time is not correctly synchronised on all machines (it was advanced into future and then it was set back).

There is a mechanism that should automatically correct all data after some time. Make sure that time synchronisation is enabled and let server and agents run few days - it can take some time, at least 24 hours. To force agents to drop their internal state, you can use "Reset cloned agent" client task. But this should be really last resort action.

• 10 months later...

I have the same problem.

Dynamic groups are empty and the icons next to computers are randomly displayed.

Also repository server is not working for me as seen on the second screenshot. It is set to AUTOSELECT in "Server Settings > Advanced Settings". Don't know if this is related.

Minor issues but everything else works fine.

[root@era ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release 
CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core) 
[root@era ~]# uname -a
Linux era.cpce.net 3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 19 22:10:57 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@era ~]# getenforce 
Disabled

I have not contacted support since we are in the process of installing to our users.

post-10982-0-24396500-1455811045_thumb.png

post-10982-0-08201200-1455811658_thumb.png

• ESET Staff

Are there any "Error" entries in /var/log/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Server/trace.log? What type (and version) of database are you using? Any chance those problematic clients are cloned machines (cloned after AGENT was installed)? Does simple restarting of SERVER service makes difference? We have seen similar issue in case unsupported MariaDB was used instead of original MySQL. There are also issues with linux MySQL of version 5.7 - especially newest versions released few weeks ago.

Thank you for your support. I thought that MariaDB would be compatible. Never had problems with it before.

I have installed MySQL 5.6 from MySQL community repositories.

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/repo/yum/

A few things needed to be fixed:

Got this error at first: "Error: Unknown database driver or data source name (DSN)"

The package mysql-connector-odbc creates files /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so and /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5w.so the Server-Linux-x86_64.sh looks for /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5.so so I just created a dirty fix:

[root@era ~]# ln -s /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5w.so /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5.so

Also when installing I got "Error: It is not possible to store big blocks of data in the database. Please reconfigure the database server first."

This was an easy fix with one additional line in my.cnf.

max_allowed_packet=33M
innodb_log_files_in_group=10

After this the installation finished correctly and I could log into the Web Console. Adding computers worked and all the relevant info is working, dynamic groups and all that jazz.

Also the repository is updating and I can remotely install all ESET products.

Thanks for the support again.  ;)

Edited by cael421

• ESET Staff
Got this error at first: "Error: Unknown database driver or data source name (DSN)"

The package mysql-connector-odbc creates files /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so and /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5w.so the Server-Linux-x86_64.sh looks for /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5.so so I just created a dirty fix:

Proper fix for this issue is modification of ODBC configuration file /etc/odbcinst.ini. For some reason there are invalid paths once MySQL driver is installed using package manager -> it has nothing to do with ERA.