RA6 not viable for small businesses

RA used to be a viable solution for small businesses.  Not any more. For a single server small business the new RA is way to complex to install and operate. I finally got to the point of opening the console and found that it would not open because the ESET HTTP Server would not run - presumably because Tomcat conflicts with IIS???  It will be easier to uninstall it and walk around to each PC and install the ESET one by one.  So sad!

I agree, I under understand the want to use SQL and a HTTP front end for customers with a lot of endpoints. But my customers are small enough that I could run to each PC and install it I just liked using the remote admin for the central reporting/alerting as well as policy changes hear and there. Now it's to much over head as well as my customers run a number of custom software and some use SQL or IIS and would fear to cause any issues by installing this. Seems to me like a lesser version is need like remote admin 5 

I don't know if it's of any interest to you chaps, but this is what I've done.

I support a handful of small businesses, from 3 users to 120 users. What I've done is installed ERA6 on a virtual server *at my house* (HyperV) and I manage all the clients from the one place. I only have an 8Mb broadband connection but there's very little traffic coming through the link.

All the customers have SBS2011, so ERA6 was a non-starter. But by doing this I've put less burdon on their servers and it's actually much easier for me to administer.

I use Hyper-V but you could easily use VirtualBox, VMWare Workstation, or something similar.

Jim

I don't know if it's of any interest to you chaps, but this is what I've done.

What I've done is installed ERA6 on a virtual server *at my house* (HyperV) and I manage all the clients from the one place

Only one ERA server for all clients? Or separate for each client?

Agents on client workstations installed manually, only configuration and monitoring with ERA?

I am very interested in experience with ERAS 6 and clients in many separate networks. Currently we have about 850 workstations in more than 60 remote locations, no VPNs, no servers on remote sites, one ERAS 5 for all this.

One ERA server, for all clients. I have one certificate for each client, one certificate authority for each client, one instalaltion "task" for each client, and all the licenses are installed in the same ERA 6 installation. I then have the clients in static groups and can apply different policies to each.

Agents were installed manually. For most of the office-based PCs I used RDP to get onto the SBS box and then used PSEXEC on each PC to insatll the agent. I could have used a login script or a startup script to achieve the same. Then once the agents connected to my ERA I pushed EEA to them, where EEA installed and activated with the correct license. I've also successfully upgraded the agent version, and upgraded the EEA version (USA "beta" release to global release) all from my home, no need to RDP to the SBS boxes or connect to the clients.

For your setup, one ERA will be fine. Just email the "live installer" script to the end users and ask them to run it to install the agent (or use whatever method you normally use to deploy software to them), and then the agents will connect to ERA. Once they do that, you can do ANYTHING with them.

It works very well.

Jim