Policy overriding user changes

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi, 

There is a policy that i created for antivirus, what to scan etc... Having in mind that users are local admins on their computer, and if they open the console and change what to scan, on the next scan, policy should overwrite those settings that user made, but that is not the case. I can send screenshot of policy and what user changed. There are only two main policies, one for agent one for antivirus, so there are no  mulitple policies doing same stuff, so no colliding.. Do not think that this should work the way it is currently working? 

Correct me if i am wrong, but policy should overwrite every change that the user made on its own on the first agent-server communication?

Just tested it on my computer. I manually changed some settings, wake up agent nothing changes, waited 10 min, nothing changes, restart of computer, nothing changes. Still changes i did manually are persistent. Policy does not apply its settings. 

• Administrators

I'll try it out myself. Just a note - if making certain changes it's necessary to wait one minute before running a wake-up call, otherwise the changes may not take effect. In the future versions, wake-up calls will be triggered with the delay of 60 seconds automatically.

My policy for agent is set to communicate with server every 60 sec. I can change that if that is the problem, but my changes are still not removed even though policy settings are set different, and my computer is turned off, restarted, several times, even scan was done in the meantime. 

• Administrators

Please post some screen shots which would clarify what scan profile was changed by the user and a screen shot of the policy with target settings that were supposed to be applied.

Hi, 

Adding screenshots. I was testing on my computer. First image is Policies applied to my computer. Second one are settings in policy, and third one is what i changed. 

Image 1:

post-6646-0-61584200-1426675445_thumb.jpg

Image 2:

post-6646-0-41631600-1426675446_thumb.jpg

Image 3:

post-6646-0-35816300-1426675447_thumb.jpg

• Administrators
  • Solution

The problem is that the 3 settings are not set to be applied by the policy. If you hover the mouse cursor over a particular setting, a cross should appear to the left. By clicking it, you'll add the setting to the policy and a pull-down menu with "Apply" and "Force" options should appear next to it.

After settings enforced by a policy have been downloaded by the agent on a client and applied to the ESET product, a lockpad icon should appear next to them in the client's setup and users have no chance to change them.

Oh, ok, that makes sense. I thought that is by default, because i used your template Security Product for Windows - Antivirus - Balanced, 

So i didnt bother to change that,and those were logical settings, so i my thinking was, that that is set automatically, especially cause it was the same on the local servers :) Guess that is default setting, so that is why it was looking like policy did its job.  

In order for the policy to always set those setting, even if users temper on their own local machine, i need to put apply..Understood. Will try it out now.. 

Thank you