VSD Update Not showing, except on cold startup?

They used to show a pop-up, until I changed System Updates to Recommended (I now get the "I" when there are Optional sys updates).

When I manually check VSD updates, they are up to date, but I like to see that they are working!

Perhaps these links and screenshots will help a bit.

Notification levels

These levels correspond to Microsoft's ranking system for updates (low priority, common, important and critical). If you disable Windows update notifications in your ESET product, we recommend that you enable update notifications or automatic updating in your Windows operating system as these updates are available to keep your computer fully protected. Click here to learn more about automatic updates from Windows..

• Select No updates from the drop-down menu to disable all Windows update notifications
  • Select Optional updates to be notified any time that Windows updates are available
  • Select Recommended updates to be notified when Windows updates marked as common or higher are available
  • Select Important updates to be notified when Windows updates marked as important or higher are available
  • Select Critical updates to be notified only when Windows updates marked as Critical are available, this is the default setting

How do I disable Windows update notifications in ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus?

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3192&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1426572107613

How do I disable pop-up notifications about virus signature updates, scheduled scan activity, etc.?

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3223&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1426572107613

Also, make sure that "Do not display notification about successful update" as seen in the screenshot below is unchecked.

hxxp://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/SOLN3415/SOLN3415Fig1-3f.png

The "system update" verbosity levels is only connected to the Windows updates, they are not connected to the VSD updates at all so they are continuously updated as before, but the update notification bubble will not show up after successful VSD updates if the checkbox for "do not display notification" in the screenshot above is checked.

Edited by SweX

Perhaps these links and screenshots will help a bit.

Notification levels

These levels correspond to Microsoft's ranking system for updates (low priority, common, important and critical). If you disable Windows update notifications in your ESET product, we recommend that you enable update notifications or automatic updating in your Windows operating system as these updates are available to keep your computer fully protected. Click here to learn more about automatic updates from Windows..

• Select No updates from the drop-down menu to disable all Windows update notifications
  • Select Optional updates to be notified any time that Windows updates are available
  • Select Recommended updates to be notified when Windows updates marked as common or higher are available
  • Select Important updates to be notified when Windows updates marked as important or higher are available
  • Select Critical updates to be notified only when Windows updates marked as Critical are available, this is the default setting

How do I disable Windows update notifications in ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus?

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3192&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1426572107613

How do I disable pop-up notifications about virus signature updates, scheduled scan activity, etc.?

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3223&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1426572107613

Also, make sure that "Do not display notification about successful update" as seen in the screenshot below is unchecked.

hxxp://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/SOLN3415/SOLN3415Fig1-3f.png

The "system update" verbosity levels is only connected to the Windows updates, they are not connected to the VSD updates at all so they are continuously updated as before, but the update notification bubble will not show up after successful VSD updates if the checkbox for "do not display notification" in the screenshot above is checked.

I went to F5...- Do not Display notification was Not checked, I said OK anyway (still Not showing)?

As for Optional System Updates, Not interfering with VSD updates- I suggest that you try this, and ...! 

Edited by scottls59901

Personally, I got the system updates set to "no updates" because I don't want/need to be bothered about any new or missing updates, especially when the QC on the WU is lacking so much these days I am in no rush to get them ASAP when they are released. 

And I also got the checkbox for "Do not display notification about successful update" checked because I don't want/need to see the update bubble after each update. But I unchecked it to test and I did indeed see the update notification popup after a VSD update. I am not sure why you don't see it, sorry.