Hi,

We use a windows based softphone called 3CX Phone for Windows at the office. I've recently changed malware protection on a Windows 8.1 laptop to Eset Smart Security V8. Since doing so the 3CX Phone program can no longer communicate with the 3CX phone system. To date I have tried the following:

1. Added the program's folder to the Realtime scanning exclusion list

2. Turned off/disabled every single Eset module in its Setup section. This had no effect, even after a reboot.

3. Uninstalled Eset. After doing so and performing a reboot the 3CX Phone program worked fine. I reinstalled Eset, and now the problem is back.

Does anyone know what needs doing to the Eset security suite to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Adriaan

• Administrators

Does disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? If so, please post a list of installed modules from the About window.

Hi Marcos,

Yes, that did the trick, thanks. I've since had an Eset support person contact me as well, and they are now working on a better solution.

Kind regards,

Adriaan

• Administrators

Disabling protocol filtering is not a solution, it was meant just to find out if it makes a difference. Web protection (utilizes protocol filtering) is an important protection layer and thus should never be disabled except for troubleshooting purposes.

You could try enabling pre-release updates in the advanced setup followed by running manual update to get the very latest version of modules which might fix the issue. If doing so doesn't help at all, a customer care representative should provide you with instructions how to create pcapng logs for further analysis by ESET engineers.

As an interim solution, you could exclude particular hostnames or ip addresses from protocol filtering which is a way better solution than disabling protocol filtering as a whole.

• 2 months later...

I had the exact same problem just now and spent a few hours trying to figure out the problem. Indeed disabling the protocol filtering helps and I have excluded the entire machine from protocol filtering.

This was all working up until this morning so probably one of the latest updates got the problem back. Marcos, what information do you need to fix this in the modules level so I don't have to exclude the PBX IP address from protocol filtering?