Appreciating ESET low false positive performance

yongsua

Then maybe this should be changed so that ESET also scans this files in realtime-protection. And additionally also files from external devices should be checked against ESET LiveGrid.

No, we will not make anything that could potentially cause serious troubles to our users or have noticeable impact on system performance. Our aim is to provide state-of-the-art protection to our users that they can depend on and we will never go in the wrong direction. I'm saying this because I see things behind the scene although I realize that for users things may look differrently and thus they may come up with easy ideas that are not safe to implement, however.

QA tests before updates are extremely important and there's no way to skip them without jeopardizing our users' computers and systems. We will always strive for keeping false positives away which was proven both by tests and users' experience.

Post#12 here : https://forum.eset.com/topic/3100-small-question-eset-livegrid-file-reputation/?hl=%2Bsystem+%2Bfiles+%2Bfalse+%2Bpositive#entry18031

That entire thread is a good read in regards to LiveGrid/file-reputation along with Marcos touching upon the false positive issue a few times.

I've been nervous about system eating FPs in any signature based product for quite awhile. While that will never go away, I think ESET's current, strong commitment to avoiding them is genuine. It's a necessary intellectual/financial expense.  

Keep up the good work everyone.

Having a FP detection on a clean program or a file is one thing, but this is a bit more serious than that since it affects the entire user base of their products.

Having a FP detection on a clean program or a file is one thing, but this is a bit more serious than that since it affects the entire user base of their products.

Yup, no AV vendor should take FP lightly. Not only a FP detection on a file but also a file which is belonged to Windows core system. Simply quarantine the file will cause the whole system of the users unable to boot properly or unusable. It was a good lesson for Panda and every AV vendor.

Edited by yongsua