upgrading to the latest version

According to the following post you have to uninstall everything (hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3668&locale=en_US)

What happens if you install the new version while the old version is still running ?

Is there a reason why that is not supported ? Then you don't have to reinstall the agent on all computers again.

Or can you use the same certificates ?

Reinstalling the agent on all computers is a job which can give you other problems too.

There will always be client computers who don't reinstall normally like client computers who connect over VPN, 3G, not in the office for a while etc...

I worked with other brands of AV before and never had to uninstall the whole package for a minor update.

Very unhappy with this and all the other problems I have with ESET 6.

Please see my posts. I've created templates and policies that will uninstall the old agent and install the new agent, even if they are remote. It works fine.

But if some clients are running the old agent for a while, no big deal it won't matter.

Jim

But what about the certificates if you update the server ?

So first you update the agent via a task ?

And when you want to update the server ? Then you have to create new certificates and redeploy the agent to the clients with this new certificate ? Even if they have the newest administrator agent version because else they will not communicate with the new server with its new certificates ?

Ph.

Edited by verus

I'm not entirely sure, because.....

When the new release (global) cam eout, the KB article said nothign about certificates, so i didn't do anything. The later KB article talks about creating new certificates.

I'm on the latest release, I didn't generate any new certificates, and everything is working fine.....

I've been successfully updating Agents and AV applications just by pushing a new task. The installation scripts test to see if a previous version exists. If one does, it changes to 'update' mode and preserves all the previous settings and certificates.

I've done this process 100+ times and haven't had any errors or duplicate applications.

Likewise. I have three ESET licenses - 120 seats, 35 seats, and 9 seats. All have been updated from 6.2109 to 6.2222, and agent from .235 to .335, using this method. No problems at all.

I reinstalled the server, new certificates and agent 6.1.365.0 crashes on all computers (service crash).

Version 6.1.265.0 works (at least it doesn't crash and I can restart the service).

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

there is no need to uninstall all the components just follow steps described here.

In the KB article there are actually 2 ways how to do it, you should follow the one for advanced users.

P.R.