Apache HTTP proxy and updates from cache server (several questions)

Go to solution Solved by michalp,

Hi,

Just wantimg to clear some things up. If I understood correctly from user guides, and knowledge base, I can use Apache HTTP proxy server (which i installed and configured as per instructions on my ERA server, environment is small(hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3637&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1425404913962)

One thing that is troubling me is that if i set everything according to this instruction, then update of antivirus database on client fails.

For second policy - ESET Security Product for Windows , it says that we need to make a change in tools\proxy server. But I don't have proxy server, and it gives me an error that it cant detect proxy server, when i try from client to do it. But when i change that, and under updates\My profile\Http proxy made the changes as above, update works.. Does that mean that instructions are wrong?

Why are we making ESET Remote Administrator Agent policy and filling HTTP proxy settings, and in ESET Security Product for Windows policy we are filling regular proxy settings? Should't we change it in the update section of this policy, and then HTTP proxy part? 

Few more questions on this topic..I will number them for ease conversations later...

1) Is first deploying of agent must be via the internet? Cause even if i create a policy and link it to the static group (ALL for example) computers wont have it applied,cause agent didnt talk to ERA? Or i missed something here.. 

2) Can all updates and install files, agents, and products (eset endpoint antivirus) be done via Apache HTTP proxy? Or Apache HTTP proxy is just for Virus updates?

3) Should I leave intact the part in the settings section, where it says AUTOSELECT for server, and also for repository? What i mean, if i want clients to talk only to Apache HTTP proxy, and not to go out on internet, are the instructions from above sufficient for this, or i have some more steps to do?

I was using Mcafee EPO, and concept is similar, but there are some differences, and somehow I am still looking at ERA through the eyes of Mcafee EPO, and looking for similarities,and trying to figure out if it works the same.

Sorry for the long post. If i need to clarify some of the questions,please ask. I really hope someone will read all this rambling and give me a response :) (as I will to others if i know the answer) :)

Thank you  

Edited by ucvijan

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

SOLN3637 instructions were misleading. In Figures 2-4 and 2-6, there were missing Apply next to the modified parameters. It should have been already fixed.

HTTP proxy and "regular" proxy are used as synonyms. Update part in Windows EES policy is only meant for special cases when you want only updates to be redirected through proxy or different proxy.

1. Live installers support HTTP proxy. It must be set in server settings beforehand. Agent deployment task for Linux and Mac also support proxy. Only agent deployment task (push install) for Windows does not support proxy at the moment - this will be changed in the future.

2. Yes, it is possible to cache everything through proxy except agent installation using deployment task on Windows. Software installation task also supports proxy settings. It means that product updates, product activation, repository access, agent installation with live installer and EES/EEA installation through Agent, all can be cached.

3. Repository will also use proxy settings. Autoselect option does not need to be modified. As far as know, there should be no more steps in configuring HTTP proxy for ERA as only access point to internet.

Hi Michalp, 

Thank you for response and explaining a bit better how this works. 

Hope everything that is needed for my clients to go via HTTP proxy is the instructions above? If i understood, when i first install something (ie, EEA), and if HTTP proxy does not have it,it will download it and cache it, and for every next installation, clients will connect to server and will use the installers from the server. 

Regards, 

• Administrators

Hope everything that is needed for my clients to go via HTTP proxy is the instructions above? If i understood, when i first install something (ie, EEA), and if HTTP proxy does not have it,it will download it and cache it, and for every next installation, clients will connect to server and will use the installers from the server. 

Right. You can check the cache content in "C:\ProgramData\Apache HTTP Proxy\cache".