AntiVirus is Making Some Emails Larger in Outlook 2010

Jester

I have had to disable my scanning of emails by Eset Anti Virus (version 8 and I am using Windows 7). It automatically scans the email in Outlook 2010 but for some reason starting a few mornings (I haven't updated Outlook or Windows recently) emails from my websites (using php to send the emails) on my local network went from 5kb to 3mb (as reported by Outlook). These are text emails with no attachments and should be around 3kb. When I attempted to open these emails Outlook crashes. This is happening both on my Desktop and laptop (very similar setups).

If I send and receive emails from the same accounts through outlook (not through the website using PHP) they are the proper size.

If these emails sent from my website are sent to outside email accounts they are fine and the correct size.

If I disable Eset antivirus outlook retrieves the emails fine and they are the correct size. If I then rescan these emails with Eset no problems are reported and the size of the emails stay the same.

For some reason it appears that Eset Antivirus when it scans incoming email over pop3 it increases the size of certain emails and makes it so outlook cannot open those emails.

This just started Monday morning around 8am

Do you know what is happening (BTW I have tagging of emails disabled unless a virus is found)

These are also pop3 email accounts and pop3 filter is enabled in the Advanced setup of Eset antivirus.

I have no other virus scanner running except Windows Defender

Thanks

Tom

I also sent this messge to your Tech Support on Monday but no one has contacted me beyond the initial message.

I can send samples of the before and after emails if need be.

• Administrators

Hello,

is is enough to disable protocol filtering in the advanced setup or integration with MS Outlook needs to be disabled as well for the issue to stop manifesting? Would it be possible to send me both an original test email as well as the larger email generated after scanning by ESET? Also please include information about installed modules from the About window.

I currently have the Email client prevention disabled. I re-enabled it and unchecked "Enable POP3 protocol checking" and just tried sending the email again and it is the correct size

I also rescanned the sent email message and it scanned fine So it appears to be the pop3 protocol filtering for just certain emails that causes the problem.

Eset support just replied to my case today.  I have sent them the log files they requested (along with the email samples).

I guess I will continue on with them but I will post the solution here for others when one is found. 

Thanks for the reply

Tom

• Administrators

Ok, I reckon seeing a similar issue in the ticketing system for our engineers, perhaps it was the one reported by you to a distributor. Please keep us posted.

I have reported the same issue in the ESS subforum.

I didn't noticed file sizes issues until i saw this post and i can cofirm that the same is happening in my case (mail size is aprox. 3mb while it should be smaller)

Hope it will be resolved soon

Hello, we have the same problem. What we must do to update protection module? It will install automatically or must we do manually?

Thanks.

• Administrators

If you don't want to wait, simply enable pre-release updates in the advanced update setup and run update manually.

Hello, we have activated pre-release updates in our Enpoint Security 6, but the problem still continues. Must we do anything else?

Thanks.

• ESET Moderators

Hello Elkar,

sorry my fault.

On pre-release there is 1080, which does contain the bug, we are testing new module with more changes so it has't been released yet.

The solution for you is to switch to the regular update channel, there is Internet protection module 1173B.2 (for v.8), which does not contain the bug.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

P.R.

Hello, I've changed to regular update channel and I've updated Eset, but I still see tha internet protection module is 1080. It's Ok.?

Thanks.