Remote activation behind firewall/proxy

Trying to activate ESET Endpoint Security from ERA 6 but always fail, I think that is because my firewall/proxy blocks tcp 80/443 to ESET License Administrator. How I can fix that?

Thanks, but why EES Client doesn´t recognize Windows Proxy settings? By the way I´m using Apache HTTP Proxy ERA6 server, client doesn´t connect through them also. If I create firewall rule to access https://edf.eset.com/edf on port 2222 I will fix activation problem?

I was mistaken in my post re: 2222. 2222 is the port used for client > ERA Server communication, not for client >> ESET.com communication. I misread your post.

• ESET Staff

If you have installed ERA server through bootstrapper with enabled HTTP proxy, there should be automatically created policy for group 'All' that tells installed EES to connect through HTTP proxy. This includes activation process.

I am not sure if EES reads Windows Proxy settings but definitely it can be configured through policy if you are running your custom HTTP proxy setup.

Enabling access to https://edf.eset.com/edf on port 443 should do it.

Enabling access to https://edf.eset.com/edf on port 443 should do it.

Ok, it worked if I set firewall rule for this but if I want to use proxy for activation what I need to do? In TOOLS menu PROXY settings need to put my proxy:port address? Client will activate through this address?

• ESET Staff

Yes, if you want to use proxy for activation and updates, then set policy: ESET Security Product for Windows -> Tools -> Proxy Server. Don't forget to create similar policies for other products that are in your network, including Agent (ESET Remote Administrator Agent -> Advanced settings -> Http Proxy) as other products may need to communicate with activation servers and download updates.

• 2 months later...

Yes, if you want to use proxy for activation and updates, then set policy: ESET Security Product for Windows -> Tools -> Proxy Server. Don't forget to create similar policies for other products that are in your network, including Agent (ESET Remote Administrator Agent -> Advanced settings -> Http Proxy) as other products may need to communicate with activation servers and download updates.

I have proxy configured on Agent and EEA and it's still doesn't work. Is it really possible to activate EEA through ERA6?

• Administrators

If you attemtp to activate Endpoint v6 locally via gui, do you get an error? If so, what does the error read?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been testing ERA6 and came across the same issue.

We have installed ERA server in Azure and we have an ERA proxy and ERA HTTP(tomcat) proxy installed at our test site.

Communications between the ERA server <--> ERA Proxy <--> Client endpoints work fine, however clients fail to activate unless we allow the client out to the internet.  We have set the end point policy to use the tomcat proxy for both updates and internet access but it still doesn't work. To me it looks like the ESET HTTP proxy doesnt allow comms to the servers ESET are using to activate.

• ESET Staff

Which version of ERA Server are you using? How have you installed the Apache HTTP proxy on your test site? We might be able to troubleshoot based on the version numbers. Endpoint 6.4+ has an option to communicate with ESET servers directly, when the connection to the proxy is not available.

• 8 months later...

Hi.

I had same problem with activation Eset File Security 6.5 via ERA 6.5. I must disable this option in policy in EFS: Use direct connection if proxy is not available:

image.png.b9af24b90bfdebf25ff3d693f6360cf9.png

I think this is bug, because proxy is available, but Eset try direct connection first for activation.