Orange line: Operating system is not up to date

Go to solution Solved by michalp,

Same theme as my "red line" post. I have 23 computers all highlighted orange, all shouting because the OS is out of date. Yes I know I can stop them shouting, but that means I'm masking potential problems.

Once again, a restart of the agent on the client makes it go away - and it goes away because Windows is already up to date with no outstanding patches.

So, can we have some control over this please, or changes to the way the agent reports? Having to restart the agent is a rubbish answer. Either the agents should be passing this info to the server every time they connect, or we should have some option to tell the agent to go and check the status again and report back. After all, what's the point in the agent connecting to the server every minute (in my case) and not reporting back the status of the machine?

Having 23 computes all sitting there in lovely orange, telling me the OS is out of date, when in fact they are all up to date, achieves nothing. I am loathe to disable the Windows Update Status reporting, as I do want to see that one computer that does have a problem with updates. But I don't want to see all the false positives, where an agent service restart is the only thing to make them go away.

Many thanks

Jim

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

OS up to date check is done in 10 minutes after Agent service startup and then every 17 hours (this should be similar to interval used by Windows Update, on Mac and Linux interval is set to 24 hours). If Agent detects that system is out of date then next re-check will be done in 17 hours or after Agent restart. This should explain why out of date status is shown for a long time and Agent restart helps.

There are two possibilities to change this behaviour:

1. Set up client task Operating system update on a regular schedule or execute it on demand. This task will install required updates and afterwards it will immediately execute update re-check.

2. Create policy to suppress Operating system up-to-date state (ESET Remote Administrator Agent -> Advanced settings -> Operating System -> Report if operating system is not up-to-date). Up to date status will be no longer monitored by Agent, but it will still be monitored by EES (same interval as virus signature database).

We will look into changing default behaviour for OS up to date check by Agent in future ERA release.

Excellent, many thanks michalp. I hadn't realised the sheduled OS task would trigger a rescan, that's exactly what I need. Thank you.

Jim

• 4 months later...

HI everybody,  I am in the middle of upgrading from 4.2 to 6 and everything is going well so far except that no matter what I do I can't get the orange alert for "Operating System Not Up To Date" error message to clear in the new web based ERA. I have tried restarting the service on the server and the client work station but nothing has worked as of yet. I have verified that the client stations all are fully up to date (even with optional updates just to be safe) and still no removal of the error flag. Back in the old ERA you could manually clear alerts, flags, etc. Is there a way to manually clear the error/alerts?  I am trying option 1 tonight and we will see how that goes.  As far as option 2 from the previous post, I don't see a path that matches the one suggested? I am I overlooking something? (ESET Remote Administrator Agent -> Advanced settings -> Operating System -> Report if operating system is not up-to-date)

• 1 month later...

I tried option 1 tonight, and mine is still reporting OS out of date warnings from 2 weeks ago... despite the update task completing successfully tonight, and the agent concerned reporting in many times in the last few hours since the update completed.

Really feels like a crucial piece of the software reporting logic needs fixing urgently for this feature to be any use. Here's hoping it comes in v6.2 in the coming days....

Mike

• Administrators

I tried option 1 tonight, and mine is still reporting OS out of date warnings from 2 weeks ago... despite the update task completing successfully tonight, and the agent concerned reporting in many times in the last few hours since the update completed.

Is it really agent that is reporting OS out of date? Isn't it ESET Security Product listed in the Product column? If possible, please post a screen shot of the window with warning you're seeing.