ERA6 - how to upgrade agent?

Go to solution Solved by jimwillsher,

Hi All.

I'd just like to say that after having spoken with the ESET support team, I've managed to remotely update client Agents and Software without the need for a work-around. The ESET Remote Aministrator console can handle everything.

Open the Remote Administrator console.

Select Admin (from left menu bar).

Select Client Tasks.

Under "All Tasks" > "ESET Remote Administrator" select "Remote Administrator Components"

Create a New Task here.

If you get some failures/errors (as I did - 1603 Fatal Error During Installation, or "File already exists"), it could be because there is a 'previous' install file in the way. I had to create another "Run Command" task to instruct the clients to delete this blocking file. Once done, re-running the task above worked 100%. I then created another task to deploy the latest Endpoint software version and that too worked 100%. There should be no need for a work-around.

I'm happy to share more details if anyone needs.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Hi All.

I'd just like to say that after having spoken with the ESET support team, I've managed to remotely update client Agents and Software without the need for a work-around. The ESET Remote Aministrator console can handle everything.

Open the Remote Administrator console.
Select Admin (from left menu bar).
Select Client Tasks.
Under "All Tasks" > "ESET Remote Administrator" select "Remote Administrator Components"
Create a New Task here.

If you get some failures/errors (as I did - 1603 Fatal Error During Installation, or "File already exists"), it could be because there is a 'previous' install file in the way. I had to create another "Run Command" task to instruct the clients to delete this blocking file. Once done, re-running the task above worked 100%. I then created another task to deploy the latest Endpoint software version and that too worked 100%. There should be no need for a work-around.

I'm happy to share more details if anyone needs.

Thanks.

Hi,

I would like to upgrade the Agent on 50 computers from 6.3 to 6.4

If you have time, can you supply step-by-step instructions for this.

Many thanks,

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • ESET Insiders

Just FYI: I dove into the ERA 6 task for "Remote Admin Components Upgrade" and it references Linux-only operating systems. I have 183 Windows clients that this task consistently fails on either automatically or if I launch it manually. If I run this task against Linux computers it works flawlessly.

Am I interpreting this wrong? If so, why aren't hundreds of Windows computers updating their Agent and why is the task consistently failing?

post-9961-0-93620200-1475174021_thumb.png

post-9961-0-56579200-1475174023_thumb.png

No, it definitely updates Windows computers. Here's my task status:

post-559-0-62676200-1475174273_thumb.jpg

We don't have any Linux computers being protected; everything is Windows. Also, we're using ERA on Windows (not the Linux appliance)

Jim

• ESET Insiders

No, it definitely updates Windows computers. Here's my task status:

attachicon.gifRA_2016-09-29_193720.jpg

We don't have any Linux computers being protected; everything is Windows. Also, we're using ERA on Windows (not the Linux appliance)

Jim

Well . I gotta figure out how to get this working.

Edit: The reason you see the Linux computer is, I guess, that are using the Linux appliance? I've just checked my task and it shows Windows servers. So i think it's just reporting the OS type of the ERA.

• ESET Staff

Just FYI: I dove into the ERA 6 task for "Remote Admin Components Upgrade" and it references Linux-only operating systems. I have 183 Windows clients that this task consistently fails on either automatically or if I launch it manually. If I run this task against Linux computers it works flawlessly.

Am I interpreting this wrong? If so, why aren't hundreds of Windows computers updating their Agent and why is the task consistently failing?

Could you please provide error message (or even better trace message) you see in task execution history -> in one of failing client's details view.

There may be configuration problem on our servers and maybe it was only temporary outage.

• ESET Staff

Edit: The reason you see the Linux computer is, I guess, that are using the Linux appliance? I've just checked my task and it shows Windows servers. So i think it's just reporting the OS type of the ERA.

Mentioned dialog lets you to choose SERVER version to which you want to upgrade infrastructure (there may be multiple choices in case you have older ERA version...). It has also impact on other components upgrade (including AGENTs) as they have to be upgraded to version compatible with selected SERVER.

• ESET Insiders

Could you please provide error message (or even better trace message) you see in task execution history -> in one of failing client's details view.

There may be configuration problem on our servers and maybe it was only temporary outage.

From ERA status of the client(s):

Remote Administrator Components Upgrade    Failed

boost::filesystem::unique_path: (0x8009000f), Object already exists

From client trace.log:

2016-09-29 18:41:03 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 9b0]: UpgradeInfrastructure: Task failed: boost::filesystem::unique_path: (0x8009000f), Object already exists

2016-09-29 18:41:03 Error: CReplicationModule [Thread e40]: CReplicationManager: Failed to start replication, replication link '00000000-0000-0000-7007-000000000001' (Automatic replication (OUT_OF_ORDER)) is already in use

2016-09-29 19:41:53 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 9b0]: UpgradeInfrastructure: Task failed: boost::filesystem::unique_path: (0x8009000f), Object already exists

2016-09-29 19:41:53 Error: CReplicationModule [Thread a4c]: CReplicationManager: Failed to start replication, replication link '00000000-0000-0000-7007-000000000001' (Automatic replication (OUT_OF_ORDER)) is already in use

• ESET Staff

Thanks, this seems to be more serious than I expected. What is version of those windows AGENTs? What operating systems are they using - are they all the same? This has actually happened for all your windows machines?

During download of installer and also as part of preparations for task execution we create multiple files in temporary directories and this seems to fail - is there any special configuration of temporary directories in this machines? Unfortunately trace log without enabled higher verbosity won't tell us more, but my guess is that path to temporary directory of local system service user is somehow non-standard. Any chance you are using language mutation of Windows that could possibly have system paths containing non-latin characters?

• ESET Insiders

Thanks, this seems to be more serious than I expected. What is version of those windows AGENTs? What operating systems are they using - are they all the same? This has actually happened for all your windows machines?

During download of installer and also as part of preparations for task execution we create multiple files in temporary directories and this seems to fail - is there any special configuration of temporary directories in this machines? Unfortunately trace log without enabled higher verbosity won't tell us more, but my guess is that path to temporary directory of local system service user is somehow non-standard. Any chance you are using language mutation of Windows that could possibly have system paths containing non-latin characters?

Wow! That's a lot to take in. I'll break it down.

• What is version of those windows AGENTs?
    •  Of all the ones I checked: 6.3.136.0.
  • What operating systems are they using - are they all the same?
    • Almost all Windows 7 Professional, about a dozen Windows 10 Enterprise
  • This has actually happened for all your windows machines?
    • Of the 1,282 Windows computers, 183 have outdated Agent and are thrown into an "outdated agent dynamic group. The Agent policy is configured to auto-upgrade components (so is the ESET program policy too so that clients auto update their software).
  • is there any special configuration of temporary directories in this machines?
    • C:\Windows\Temp which is the system default
  • Windows that could possibly have system paths containing non-latin characters?
    • 14 are in Asia (not sure the language they picked for the OS). The rest are Europe or America as English locale.

• ESET Insiders

Tried pushing the upgrade task to 200 Macintosh devices. 6 devices so far are showing this:

2016 Sep 29 17:02:32    ESET Remote Administrator Agent    Failed    Task failed    GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e2a)

and

2016 Sep 29 20:49:24    ESET Remote Administrator Agent    Failed    Task failed    ReadUpgradeStatus: Upgrade of Agent from version '6.3.110.0' to '6.4.232.0' failed. Current version is '6.3.110.0'

and

2016 Sep 29 23:05:20    ESET Remote Administrator Agent    Failed    Task failed    File already exists 'C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Data\upgrade.json'. Cannot continue with agent upgrade

Edited by BDeep

• ESET Staff

Most of these errors are caused by running infrastructure upgrade multiple times -> before previous task execution could finish either with success or failure. Are those problematic windows computers long-running or they are regularly restarted? Most of this issues should be resolved by restart.

Regarding HTTP error from Mac OS X computers, this type of error means that download of installation package failed - most probably because connection to our servers was interrupted or it time-outed.Have had you more luck with remaining clients?

• ESET Insiders

Most of these errors are caused by running infrastructure upgrade multiple times -> before previous task execution could finish either with success or failure. Are those problematic windows computers long-running or they are regularly restarted? Most of this issues should be resolved by restart.

Regarding HTTP error from Mac OS X computers, this type of error means that download of installation package failed - most probably because connection to our servers was interrupted or it time-outed.Have had you more luck with remaining clients?

On my Windows and Macintosh clients, I kept re-running and re-running the task until it finally took. Windows workstation clients down to 98 out of 181. Macintosh at 24. Windows server still at 347. Unfortunately I can't reboot the servers as they are all production.

For the HTTP errors: every one was coming out of Africa or Asia (probably with terrible bandwidth and crappy connections).

• 5 months later...
On 2015.08.18. at 3:31 PM, Marcos said:

To upgrade Agent on clients, push a "Remote Administrator Components Upgrade" task to the clients:

post-10-0-42167500-1439901115_thumb.png

This need stick on every search for "agent upgrade" with ERA. Because it's is client task and do all automatically  with dynamic groups.

It is critical to understand this, reading other information is time-waste.

• 1 month later...

I think the confusing thing here is that it's the same task that is used for upgrading the server. Certainly confuses me!

• ESET Staff

Hello,

The task is called "ESET Remote Administrator Components Upgrade task". Details of the task, what it does, and how, are listed in the product documentation: http://help.eset.com/era_install/65/en-US/index.html?components_upgrade.htm

ERA components per each released version are in this KB article : http://support.eset.com/kb3690/

ERA components, that could be upgraded using this task are:

• Server
  • Webconsole
  • Agent
  • Mobile Device Connector
  • Proxy

Out of curiosity, what would you suggest to adjust? Create two instances of the same task, one for server, and one for the rest, just with different naming? 

48 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

Out of curiosity, what would you suggest to adjust? Create two instances of the same task, one for server, and one for the rest, just with different naming? 

How about a task called "update agent" and another called "update ERA".

It might make sense, yes, just for clarity - even if they do the same thing.

ERA Server Upgrade task

and

ERA Agent Upgrade task

Jim

Edited by jimwillsher

"Remote Administrator Components" suggests server only to me. If it were called "ESET Remote Administrator and Agent Upgrade", something that very clearly identifies what it is.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

you helped me a lot. I have to update the ERA Agent for about 500 devices. Previously I did the update with the script provided by @jimwillsher and @Phydeauxdawg but currently this is somehow not working anymore for me. Now I was searching for a way to update the agents and I personally never thought that this could be done with the "Remote Administrator Components Update" task. I have used this to update my server components but as @CMS already mentioned, I thought this task is server related and can not be used for the clients. I also think renaming the tasks somehow would help a lot.

Thanks and regards!

Hello again, i am stuck again. I think i know the cause why the msiexec method is not working anymore. It was working on all machines where the user is a local admin (we have this kind of setup for engineering and quality members) but it's not working for users with normal user permissions because it can't execute the *.msi without admin permissions. Do you know a solution how to run the msiexec with elevated rights?

I have also tried the other option with the "Remote Administrator Components Update" task, but it failed with the error "ReadUpgradeStatus: Upgrade of Agent from version '6.4.283.0' to '6.5.522.0' failed. Unexpected updater service Win32ExitCode 0x435". Do you know something about it? I could not find anything on google.

Thanks!

Edited by Palps
remove quote