ERA 6, How to upgrade to newer version

I didn't get that extra username/password on the initial install, nor on the upgrade. However when I had a few "quirks" I tried a repair, and then I got that extra prompt. Entering a username that does, or does not, exist in the database gave me the same error; choosing to create a new user caused the entire installation to fail and rollback.

So some weirdness going on here I think.....

Jim

Did it not allow you to keep the current database user, or did it clear your database at all?

all of my components on the RA server are not up to the new version.

Can you list what did/did not upgrade, did you use the same upgrade path listed in the link provided by CB530?  If so, were there any issues during the process.

remote administrator agent and rogue detection sensor

Using windows authentication did not work for me. I was told by support that if you use the all in one install a password and username is automatically generated, and to find it go to.

C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Configuration\startupconfiguration.ini

However, even when I typed those in I could still not connect. Even when trying all 3 drivers. My initial install was nothing fancy, no weird configs. Just a windows server with all the default options.

Just out of interest.....

When I did the initial install, the password in that file was encrypted (I found the file as I needed to change the database name).

After running the new installer, I noticed the password is plain-text.

i'd prefer it encypted BUT only if there's a way to generate new ones, in case the DB password changes.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

our KB team is currently working on an article, which should cover most of the upgrade scenarios.

I will post a link once it is ready.

Thank you fro your questions and feedback, it hepl us to improve the documentation/help/KB articles.

Regards,

P.R.

Hey Jim, I never knew the plain password. I'm told the all-in-one installer will autogenerate a password for the install instead of asking you to create one.

To P.R. I'm having problems with eset activating endpoints with my new purchased licenses. I was able to activate some off of the new ones before, but now it seems i can only activate using my trial licenses. My trial licenses expire on Mar 7th and concerned that this is a bug of the old version and wonder the implications once it gets to the 7th. So hopeing that KB article comes out very soon, soon then later anyways. Thanks for the update regardless

Interesting....so the password that I saw on the connection string, which I assumed was an encypted password, was actually a generated password. Ok that's good, I wasn't comfortable with having an encrypted password with no obvious way to generate a new one.

I was told it was autogenerated, as to whether its stored in that file as plain text or encrypted, I cannot say. I do know when I tried to type it in as a database password, as it was presented in the config file, the connection wouldn't work, so this lead me to believe it was stored in that file in encrypted format.

Ok for folks following this thread. Seems there is a KB article now (hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3669) . Reading it I was unsure that this was gonna change anything, as I had basically done the same before. But, I decided to re-download the server install to be safe, and went from that. I ran the setup, set it to windows authentication, clicked next, the program paused, suspense building........and it worked. My guess is they changed something in the install file to help bypass the problem. If you're still getting the authentication problems, I'd suggest re-downloading the server install.

-Dave 

• ESET Staff

That's correct dave, actually we just posted three new pieces for ERA upgrade. Please use the one that works best for your environment:

Edited by CB530

Great, hope I didn't botch my install. I had the all-in-one install and as per eset support earlier I upgraded by downloading the stand alone methods. Curious how this will play out. Will report back if I notice anything funky.

-Dave