New version 6 is terrible

Sorry but this new version is a joke. The previous versions we could deploy with group policy MSI files and be done with it. this new agent that requires internet connectivity and then having to wait for the server to push the antivirus at the desktops Is annoying. Half of my clients with agents on them won't automatically upgrade and still have version 5 on them.

eset, you need to fix this product ASAP. This isn't even BETA quality in it's current state.

• ESET Moderators

Hello tduffy,

thank you for your opinion.

In case you would like to deploy our solution on the Endpoints via GPO probably the best option for you is ERA Live Installer, please find more details in this KB article How do I deploy the ESET Remote Administrator Agent? (6.x).

You can specify a local resource (like SMB share of local FTP server) for the installation packages in case the internet connection is not available / slow. 

By the way full global release is really close so I would suggest you to wait few more days in order to use new, improved and more stable version.

The v.6 is a new product so we are aware that it has few issues, which will be fixed with next releases / module updates.

However the possibilities of the new solution are huge and definitely worth the effort.

So please stay tuned and share your experience with us on the forums or with your local support team.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

P.R.

ERA live installer is not the answer. we have desktops that do not have internet access. I also don't want my internet link saturated with clients going out to the internet and downloading the same files over and over.

• Administrators

If HTTP Apache proxy or another proxy server is installed, it will cache files downloaded by agents. In case ERAS was inaccessible by agents, it'd be possible to generate offline license files to be used for activating clients without Internet connection or connection to the proxy server. However, for maximum protection and quick response to new threats it's important that clients can access Live Grid cloud servers either directly or via the proxy server.

You can still install the agent via GPO, and the install the AV solution also via GPO (just download the eea_nt64_enu.msi or eea_nt32_enu.msi from eset.com and deploy via GPO as normal). That way you're reducing the bandwidth requirements. The agent can then be used just to push the license and to trigger the signature download.

We had a lot of reservations about V6 - you'll see I made various "rant" postings - but now that we're using it we love it, and we will never look back.

Jim

If HTTP Apache proxy or another proxy server is installed, it will cache files downloaded by agents. In case ERAS was inaccessible by agents, it'd be possible to generate offline license files to be used for activating clients without Internet connection or connection to the proxy server. However, for maximum protection and quick response to new threats it's important that clients can access Live Grid cloud servers either directly or via the proxy server.

shouldn't have to have this for a simple anti-virus install. These desktops don't have access to the internet for a reason.

• ESET Moderators

Hello tecnicoredes,

A regular user can't stop the protection, only users with administrator permissions can do that.

However, it's been already suggested as an improvement for future versions to ask for a password regardless of what rights the user has.