Problem with Eset Endpoint Security 11.1.2039.2 and Outlook 2019

We are experiencing a problem with some devices that have the following configuration:

Operating system: Windows 10 22H2 up to date.
Software: Microsoft Outlook 2019 version 2406 64 bits up to date.
Antivirus: Eset Endpoint Security 11.1.2039.2 newly installed.

When we try to send a reply to an email, Microsoft Outlook becomes unstable and fails to send message.

The only way to solve it was to disable integration with Outlook through Eset advanced options.

With the previous version of Eset Endpoint Security (11.0.2044.0) this problem did not occur.

Please check it.

• Administrators

Please raise a support ticket for further troubleshooting of the issue.

Hi,

I confirm the issue.

Since ESET 11.1.2039.2 is installed, we are experiencing the same issue on different computers with outlook 2016/365 on Windows 10/11.

Disabling the integration with Outlook do the trick but this is not a solution for the long term.

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Does it happen only when you attempt to send an email message to multiple recipients? If you send it to one it works?

It happens with one/multiple recipients and with/without attachment.

I successfully reproduce the issue after every fresh restart of the computer but afterwards it happens only from time to time.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Sistemas Tendencia said:

ESET local support don't recognize this probleme, they tell me is a Microsoft Office issue.

Please provide me with your ticket ID as well as the communication with the support (including the "from" email address and subject) in a private message. It appears that the ticket was not handled correctly by your local ESET technical support. If disabling email client integration makes a difference, they should have asked for an advanced email client protection log and logs collected with ESET Log Collector and pass them to ESET HQ for perusal.

Communication with local ESET support was via WhatsApp and call, I do not have a ticket number.

Where could I report my case directly to the ESET team without going through local support?

We've got the same problem here,  with Eset Endpoint Security 11.1.2039.2 and Outlook 2016/2019/2021. 

It seems like that it occurs when the message is sent to the Outbox, not when it's sent via SMTP. I'm saying this because it occurred for us in offline mode as well. Disabling the Add-In via policies work but it feels like a bit of a nuclear option.

I submitted a ticket on the Support portal, but i hope this will help you pinpoint the issue.

Hi Marcos, I currently have half of the company that can not send mails. we need an urgent solution. do you have an estimated time of when you can have that update available? or if there is a way to fix it temporarily?

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Juanma Yac said:

Hi Marcos, I currently have half of the company that can not send mails. we need an urgent solution. do you have an estimated time of when you can have that update available? or if there is a way to fix it temporarily?

Unfortunately the root cause is not yet known. Some users even claim that the issue went away after temporarily disabling HIPS and rebooting the machine.

10 hours ago, Juanma Yac said:

Hi,

I assume that you're using outlook. Disabling the "integration with outlook" fixes the problem until ESET released an update.

image.png.0122c377e32e506c0705f87fca54f35f.png

The ESET hotline told me that reverting back to version 10 is a solution as well... Too time consuming for me.

Best wishes,

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. Close MS Outlook
  2. Enable logging (F5 -> TOOLS -> Diagnostics -> ADVANCED LOGGING -> Enable Email client protection advanced logging)
  3. Launch MS Outlook
  4. Reproduce the issue
  5. Create a full dump of Outlook.exe via the Task manager (right click Microsoft Outlook in the list of running processes -> Create dump file)
  6. Close MS Outlook
  7. Disable logging (F5 -> TOOLS -> Diagnostics -> ADVANCED LOGGING -> Enable Email client protection advanced logging)
  8. Supply logs collected with ESET Log Collector as well as the generated dump.

Does Outlook become responsive after several minutes?

Does disabling "Add recipient addresses from outgoing messages" make a difference?

Does the issue occur after temporarily disabling HIPS and rebooting the machine?

I can confirm i have same problem in my company with sending emails. After i encounter problem with first few machines i stopped updating others to version 11.1.2039.2.

So far i disable Mailbox protection and Email client antispam and successfully send mails which i was unable to send earlier because Outlook freeze every time.

On 7/22/2024 at 2:47 AM, Marcos said:

An Outlook plug-in with a fix is being tested and the fix should be included in the next version of Endpoint if users confirm that it has fixed the issue.

@Marcos -- is this problem also present in ESET Endpoint Antivirus 11.1.2039.2, or is it only affecting ESET Endpoint Security?

I started getting reports from users within my organization about Microsoft Outlook not responding for a while after replying to an email.

After asking my staff, I found out that this issue occurred after updating Endpoint Security 11.1.2039.2.

I was not sure about this at first, but after I found this thread, I realized that many people have the same problem.

I have temporarily disabled Integrate in to Microsoft Outlook

To fix this urgently.

I hope this issue will be permanently fixed in the next update.

Edited by Sompong

• Administrators

The issue was caused by performance optimization / offload in the latest version. We have a fix prepared which is going to be tested soon and then included in the next service release of our security products.

It is said that the issue occurs with POP3 accounts and disabling this setting should resolve it:

image.png

Also Outlook should start responding after 2 minutes and further email messages should be sent without Outlook becoming unresponsive. Could you confirm?

On 8/5/2024 at 4:15 PM, Marcos said:

The issue was caused by performance optimization / offload in the latest version. We have a fix prepared which is going to be tested soon and then included in the next service release of our security products.

It is said that the issue occurs with POP3 accounts and disabling this setting should resolve it:

image.png

Also Outlook should start responding after 2 minutes and further email messages should be sent without Outlook becoming unresponsive. Could you confirm?

I would like to ask another question. Will turning off this function affect security?

• Administrators

Turning off mailbox protection or integration with Outlook will cause:
- antispam not to work
- outgoing email messages not to be scanned
- inability to re-scan email messages via the right-click menu.

Email received via POP3(S) or IMAP(S) will still be scanned for threats.

It is safer to mitigate the issue just by temporarily disabling the setting "Add recipient addresses from outgoing messages" under Email client protection -> Address list management until the next version of Endpoint which is expected to contain a fix.