install on win 8.1

I there an issue with ess and windows 8.1 64?Im trying to install it on 2 of my hp laptops(windows 8.1 64 bit)and it gets to 59% installing drivers and sits there going no further,even if i hit cancel it does nothing?When i reboot windows ess is not listed in windows uninstall but pops up in system tray saying everything is disabled?I have to go into safe mode with your uninstall tool to get rid of eset.I installed on my windows 7 64 bit no problem at all?

I have also seen the same problem trying to install onto a Windows 8.1 Dell XPS 8700 64 bit.  The freeze at 59% has been repeatable on that computer.  As you state, the install will not finish.  A hard restart results with ESS showing in the task bar with a red warning that it is not protecting the computer.  ESS does not show up in the list of installed programs and cannot be uninstalled normally.  Instead of uninstall tool I restored from backup. 

Note, no other security programs installed on computer and functions perfectly without ESS 8.

While ESS will not install on the mentioned computer, NOD32 will install without problem and function as expected.

Thanks for replying but i have no intention of using nod32 as i bought this to use the internet security.If i dont get this to work i will move on to a internet security suite from another vendor that actually works.

I have heard from several people with this same exact issue.I would urge you both to contact support https://www.eset.com/us/support/contact/s2/?art=soln2955&seg=home

If users take the time to report this to support and supply them with the necessary logs upon request, this issue may be able to be fixed quickly. As always, with Eset, support is free of charge for licensed users. Their tech agents are quite simply the best at what they do. Please do report back to thread upon resolution of your cases, as it may be beneficial to others.

As always, with Eset, support is free of charge for licensed users. Their tech agents are quite simply the best at what they do. Please do report back to thread upon resolution of your cases, as it may be beneficial to others.

I know it's off-topic, but why not say this (what you said) publicly and vote for ESET. Exactly with the arguments you said they are currently participating in the European Business Awards:)

Edited by rugk

Got on a remote connection with eset and the install again stopped at installing drivers.The tech said it was late in the day and they were leaving for the day,to get back to them tommorrow.I wanted to see if it had anything to do with my laptops wireless connection so i disabled the wireless adapter in control panel and connected the laptop through ethernet cord.I was able to install eset smart security with no problems?I will try my other laptop to see if it works that way also.

Not sure if it is the "live installer" that you use or not. But with the offline installer it doesn't matter if you are connected to the Internet or not, as you can use it to install the product in an offline environment. Updates such as VSDs and modules will be downloaded once you connect the computer to the Internet again.

The live installer should work fine as well of course, but I like the offline installer better so that's what I use. 

You don't have to disconnect the computer even if you would use the offline installer package, it can stay connected to the internet during the install process.

I think I have a mem dump somewhere (unless I deleted it) from when what Reldel describe happened last year to me as well...but I haven't sent it to ESET as my upload speed is powered by a snail.

Edited by SweX

I tried the offline installer and it did not work.I just tried my other laptop with offline installer and it gets stuck at installing drivers again.Ill try and do a remote session with them when i get time.

Is there any HP bundled software running on the laptops? Especially HP Protect tools, which can cause problems while installing security software. It's worth a try I guess :)

I tried the offline installer and it did not work.I just tried my other laptop with offline installer and it gets stuck at installing drivers again.Ill try and do a remote session with them when i get time.

I see, well hopefully they will find the cause for this during the remote session, if they can't find the cause, then I will try to find the mem dump if I still have it and send it.

It may be a shot in the dark,but it may be worth opening an elevated command prompt and running the system file checker by typing sfc/scannow and let it complete.If there are issues that can't be fixed by the sfc,reopen an elevated command prompt and copy and paste the following command and allow to complete DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.You can also try running the Microsoft .NET framework repair tool located here hxxp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

I only mention all this,due to my having worked on 4 Eset windows 8.1 x64 installs which had this problem and found in these 4 cases,after having done the above,was able to get Eset to install without issue.I wish I had more time to troubleshoot further as to maybe the root causes of the issues.Unfortunately I only do tech related stuf,computer repairs,installs,malware removal in my spare time.I am a manager in a supermarket of all things.Think it's time to get back to school.Tech related work is so much more gratifying. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got time to do a remote session and was able to get ess installed on all my computers.The tech said there was a driver that needed to be deleted so the install would complete(eset driver).Thanks eset support,great.

That's great news.Glad to hear all is well.The few systems I had worked on I couldn't find traces in system folder or registry as I suspected that might be the problem.Just goes to show,ESET support is always the first and best option.Thanks for reporting back.

• Administrators

Without epfwlwf driver, network filtering (firewall) will not work. The customer care representative was supposed to collect all necessary data and pass them to ESET HQ for further analysis by engineers as removing ESET drivers should never be considered a permanent solution to an issue.

Like i said in earlier posts,installed failed at installing drivers so i couldnt use eset.After removing that driver i was able to install ess and am now using without any problems.Without removing it,i wouldnt have eset installed.

Sorry for not posting back sooner,but here is a piece of info from what I did with a few peoples machines with the installation stalling at installing drivers.I found that uninstalling,rebooting, and reinstalling the NIC drivers did the trick.

• 1 month later...

Here we go again.Bought my son a windows 8 computer and tried to install smart security on it and the same driver problem.ive tried 4 times to install and no good.Eset you need to fix smart security as there is a driver issue with windows 8.I dont have time to go back and fourth with support when im trying to install a product i paid for.I can install nod32 just fine as its smart security that has serious issues,FIX It.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the SAME problem with the install stopping at 59%.

The solution, DISABLE each network connection BEFORE installing ESS.

After it installed successfully, I ENABLED each network connection.

The instructions are in the URL below...

hxxp://www.overclock.net/t/389789/how-to-get-eset-smart-security-to-install-correctly