Creating install package in ERA6

Go to solution Solved by GreenEnvy22,

• ESET Insiders

Hi

As an Eset partner I have a log of small setups with 10-20 users.

I usual create install packages, so it is easy for the customers and my colleges to install their Eset product to a new computer.

Now when playing around with Eset v6, it seems to be a lot more difficult.

Is their anyway to create an install package which install both the agent and the endpoint antivirus and also activates the product?

If not, can I create an package for the agent, and then have it automatically install the antivirus and also activate the client in a reasonable time.

Thanks in advance

I'm something similar. What works for me is to use the Live Agent option from the web console. You then chose the ceritifcat (I create one for each client) and it creates the batch file.

Distribute that batch file. When your customer runs it, it will install the agent. You can then push the agent yourself, with appropriate license.

Shout if stuck!

Jim

• ESET Insiders

Hi, and thanks for replying.

I have already thought of the solution you suggests, however that is not a good solution for us.

We work as external IT consultants, and this requires me to be involved 2 times, first to create the batch file, and then later to deploy the security product.

Our customers are used to be able to be able to install the product by them self, and the new method is much more complicated and slow.

I need to make non it guys able to install this, else they will probably go the way of much easier and cheaper solutions as eg Microsoft Security Essentials

Edited by rekun

Hello rekun,

Version 6 of the ESET business suite (Antivirus and Remote Console) completely changed the way they communicate with each other. If you are using an environment with the ESET Remote Administrator v6, you will have to install both the ESET Agent and the Antivirus. Then, you have to send a task to the agent to activate your ESET product. It is this new activation process that makes creating a single standalone install package (Agent + AV) not possible. We are definitely listening to our client feedback and always looking for better methods for deployment.

However, at the moment, the easiest method for agent deployment is creating the ERA Live Installer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I deploy the ESET Remote Administrator Agent?
hxxp://kb.eset.com/zap/SOLN3595

Best,
David

• ESET Insiders

Hi David

To me it seems like the new version is a huge step backwards. I cannot accept that the reason for this to be so complicated is that you cannot figure out a smart way to activate your product.

I seriously hope that you will soon release an update that makes it much more easy to deploy and manage the new version, or I would have to look for another product.

I think rekun is right. ATM I didn't see any way for a working (automated) migration from V5 to V6.

We have 1500-2000 Clients from V5 down till V3 (cause eset removed the PCU - seems it didn't work proper, like the remote upgrade).

In this point of view, the new architecture seems a bit more robust and stable but there need to be migration pathes.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm adding my voice in here. We will not be renewing our ESET license unless a way to create a single package is brought back.

We have missionaries scattered all over the planet, many of which have horrible internet, and are in timezones 6-12 hours away from us.

We've always made a single install package for them so they can download it when they have internet and install onto the various computers they have in their offices. 

I suppose we could write some batch file that would install the agent and then install endpoint security, but they'd have to deal with license errors until we got them activated on our end.

Someone at ESET needs to think long and hard about their decisions.

Hello rekun,

Version 6 of the ESET business suite (Antivirus and Remote Console) completely changed the way they communicate with each other. If you are using an environment with the ESET Remote Administrator v6, you will have to install both the ESET Agent and the Antivirus. Then, you have to send a task to the agent to activate your ESET product. It is this new activation process that makes creating a single standalone install package (Agent + AV) not possible. We are definitely listening to our client feedback and always looking for better methods for deployment.

However, at the moment, the easiest method for agent deployment is creating the ERA Live Installer.

How do I deploy the ESET Remote Administrator Agent?
hxxp://kb.eset.com/zap/SOLN3595

Best,
David

• Administrators

ERA v5 and Endpoint v5 remain available for download and we don't plan to discontinue that version any time soon. So if creating custom install packages is a must, you can still continue using the older version as v5 fully supports new technologies, such as Live Grid, Advanced memory scanner and Exploit blocker.

ERA v5 and Endpoint v5 remain available for download and we don't plan to discontinue that version any time soon. So if creating custom install packages is a must, you can still continue using the older version as v5 fully supports new technologies, such as Live Grid, Advanced memory scanner and Exploit blocker.

Thats good, except now we need to keep 2 admin servers, ERA6 has issues managing Endpoint 5.x clients.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

As a followup for others, I was able to accomplish this in a roundabout way.

The steps I did to make this work:

-Downloaded the windows agent "live installer" ZIP from the admin console

-Edited the batch file (inside the downloaded ZIP) to get the download link for the agent, and the installation parameters

-I modified the VBScript file the Batch file creates to use offline copies of everything

-Created a second VBScript that calls the first one as Administrator

-exported the agent certificate from remote administrator

-exported the certificate authority certificate from remote administrator

-Renamed those two to managable names 

-I then use 7Zip to make a SFX module that extracts all the files to the %TEMP% folder on the users machine, and runs the 2nd VBScript (via cscript).

The files in my 7Zip SFX archive are:

-Agent installer MSI

-Endpoint installer MSI

-VBscript with all my code in it

-VBScript to call the main vbscript as administrator

-one PFX certificate file for the agent

-one DER certificate for the certificate authority

You will need to edit the attached files to fix your needs. If you have a password on the certificate you will need to edit the file to include that, or set up the vbscript to prompt the user for it.

You can see a lot of the available commands in this KB article: hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3675

You can periodically update this by dropping in new MSI's of the agent or installer, or if needed new certificates.

You'll need to remove the .txt endings from the attached files to make them back into VB Script files.

You can now send out this 7zip EXE file to people for a mostly offline install. They just need to go online to get activated.

I express no warranty on this code, it's just something I put together quickly to fix our needs. There is no error checking in it. If it breaks your computer or kills your cat, I am not responsible.

ESET-InstallWrapper-example.vbs.txt

InstallESETx64-example.vbs.txt

Edited by GreenEnvy22

• 6 months later...

As a followup for others, I was able to accomplish this in a roundabout way.

The steps I did to make this work:

-Downloaded the windows agent "live installer" ZIP from the admin console

-Edited the batch file (inside the downloaded ZIP) to get the download link for the agent, and the installation parameters

-I modified the VBScript file the Batch file creates to use offline copies of everything

-Created a second VBScript that calls the first one as Administrator

-exported the agent certificate from remote administrator

-exported the certificate authority certificate from remote administrator

-Renamed those two to managable names 

-I then use 7Zip to make a SFX module that extracts all the files to the %TEMP% folder on the users machine, and runs the 2nd VBScript (via cscript).

The files in my 7Zip SFX archive are:

-Agent installer MSI

-Endpoint installer MSI

-VBscript with all my code in it

-VBScript to call the main vbscript as administrator

-one PFX certificate file for the agent

-one DER certificate for the certificate authority

You will need to edit the attached files to fix your needs. If you have a password on the certificate you will need to edit the file to include that, or set up the vbscript to prompt the user for it.

You can see a lot of the available commands in this KB article: hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3675

You can periodically update this by dropping in new MSI's of the agent or installer, or if needed new certificates.

You'll need to remove the .txt endings from the attached files to make them back into VB Script files.

You can now send out this 7zip EXE file to people for a mostly offline install. They just need to go online to get activated.

I express no warranty on this code, it's just something I put together quickly to fix our needs. There is no error checking in it. If it breaks your computer or kills your cat, I am not responsible.

I will give this a try. Good effort by GreenEnvy22. But I really think that ESET should produce a solution with a single install file for both agent/program. 

• 3 weeks later...

We recently started upgrading our clients to version 6. What a big mistake. I first struggled to get the workstations connected to the server until I found out you have to install an agent. Now I struggle to deploy that agent offline via GPO. I struggle to get the workstations to update from the server. We use to sell only ESET thanks to their compact, excellent and easy to use AV. But they threw all that out the window to make version 6. Thank you for the effort GreenEnvy22, but there are simpler AV solutions out there. We're moving our clients away from ESET.

• Administrators

We recently started upgrading our clients to version 6. What a big mistake. I first struggled to get the workstations connected to the server until I found out you have to install an agent. Now I struggle to deploy that agent offline via GPO. I struggle to get the workstations to update from the server. We use to sell only ESET thanks to their compact, excellent and easy to use AV. But they threw all that out the window to make version 6. Thank you for the effort GreenEnvy22, but there are simpler AV solutions out there. We're moving our clients away from ESET.

1, The fact that agent communicates with the ERA Server is one of the basic principles of how ERA6 work and one of the biggest differences compared to ERA generation 1. The new system of communication is explained in the documentation (user guides, help) as well as in tutorial videos and presentations.

2, Deploying agent via GPO is a recommended way of deployment. If you encounter issues and you cannot figure out the cause, you can contact Customer care or ask here in our forum where ESET's moderators or other knowledgeable users will be glad to help.

3, The same goes for issues with update or anything else. You can contact Customer care or ask here in our forum where ESET's moderators or other knowledgeable users will be glad to help.