Hello,

I'm trying to make a restoration of my system after a mistake I made a few days ago, but this isn't working with ESET because it blocks the process.

How can I restore my system with ESET? How can I exclude the restoration system (if that's what I have to do?).

Thanks a lot.

• Most Valued Members

Eset seems to be having a problem when doing a System Restore in Windows 7 and 8.x which I think you are trying to do.

It has been reported and Eset is looking in to the matter. See this thread on the issue:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/3345-windows-81-system-restore-fails-with-ess78/

Specifically Post #24 By JavierSequraNA - Eset Moderator

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

From what we can tell in the support center, it may be the technology that prevents malicious software from corrupting or disabling protection, as implied earlier on in this thread. When you think  about it, it is something we need to handle very carefully. I'll reply when I have more information, thank you for the feedback and patience!

I recently had to do a System Restore on Windows 7 and completed it successfully from Safe Mode. I believe it will work on Windows 8.x as well. I don't use Windows 8 so I can't say for sure.

More information on entering Safe Mode:

Windows 7

hxxp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7

Windows 8.x

hxxp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

• Most Valued Members

There you go .. a work around.

My way of thinking is to just go to safe mode, do the deed and restart. No matter how you look at it a couple of reboots are going to be necessary until Eset comes up with a fix..

Now if I could stop mucking about and leave Windows alone I wouldn't need to do system restores. But I can't help myself.. :wacko:  and besides there's no sport in that.

• Most Valued Members

eset must start with windows, don't mess with 'msconfig'.

one workaround I found is to go to advanced setup, then go to "computer" then HIPS and remove the checkmark from "Enable Hips" and "Enable self-defence".

that way eset won't interfere with the restore process.

that is until the system re is restored and the options will be enabled again. but the restore will successfully complete.

(the company is aware and we wait for a fix)

Edited by pavilion_alex

Getting system restore to work properly without doing it in safe mode is an issue with several AVs not only ESET due to the self defense mechanism in the products. 

So if one perform a system restore in safe mode instead it should work fine(if not then also disable self defense until it's done) and this is basically a non issue. I haven't done a system restore in over 8+ years. I rather have a tight top notch self defense system in the product, than cut down on that only because system restore fails in normal mode.

I can't help but to think that it's not to much to ask to disable self defense and/or perform the restore in safe mode, considering it's not something we should need to do that often, if at all, so it's a small prize to pay, and a small issue we should be able to put out with to have a good self defense system in place. 

Especially when there is better solutions than system restore available that one can use instead.

But if ESET is able to get around this without decreasing self defense in any way, then that's great as well of course.

Edited by SweX

Additionally a small word about the msconfig/ESET autostart thing.

It depends on where you exactly looked into msconfig, but I assume you didn't looked through the whole list of services, so with other words you looked under "autostart" (or similar).

There you can only disable or enable the start of the ESET user interface (egui.exe).

However, regardless what you tried to modify of ESET should be blocked by the self-defence. This autostart entry included.

As it doesn't seem to be so in your case you surely already had disabled self-defence.

Please note that you should always enable self-defence in a normal usage of your computer.

Edited by rugk

• Most Valued Members

Getting system restore to work properly without doing it in safe mode is an issue with several AVs not only ESET due to the self defense mechanism in the products. 

So if one perform a system restore in safe mode instead it should work fine(if not then also disable self defense until it's done) and this is basically a non issue. I haven't done a system restore in over 8+ years. I rather have a tight top notch self defense system in the product, than cut down on that only because system restore fails in normal mode.

I can't help but to think that it's not to much to ask to disable self defense and/or perform the restore in safe mode, considering it's not something we should need to do that often, if at all, so it's a small prize to pay, and a small issue we should be able to put out with to have a good self defense system in place. 

Especially when there is better solutions than system restore available that one can use instead.

But if ESET is able to get around this without decreasing self defense in any way, then that's great as well of course.

I always make a restore point, most times a complete image backup, prior to any software install or Windows update. Given that in today's software market there is a good chance something you don't want will come along for the ride on install no matter how careful you are. I do the same when making changes to my system including Eset settings. Overkill you say.. well maybe, but I like my system the way it runs now and have no desire to do a complete install of the OS...again!

My original post was to advise the OP why his System Restore failed.

Just to be clear I want Eset to keep a "tight top notch self defense system in the product" too. As far as I'm concerned Eset can leave things as they are. There is no effort required to go to safe mode. I have no intentions of ever disabling any of the defenses provided to accomplish a simple system restore.

Not sure if you mean that I think it's overkill? Because I don't, I wouldn't say that what you do is overkill. To clarify, my point (better solutions) was that it is better to use a dedicated backup software or imaging rollback type of softwares than rely on system restore. 

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

Not sure if you mean that I think it's overkill? Because I don't, I wouldn't say that what you do is overkill. To clarify, my point (better solutions) was that it is better to use a dedicated backup software or imaging rollback type of softwares than rely on system restore. 

I didn't mean you specifically when commenting about overkill it was meant to address anyone reading the post in general. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I will attempt to explain.  Many have criticized me for my practices when it comes to backups and restore points over the years. The term "overkill" was by far the the term most often used followed by some type of OCD affliction.

It is my opinion that those who fail to keep adequate recovery paths will be reinstalling Windows and lose precious data never to be seen again. The question is not if it will happen but when. I've been there and am resolute not to return.

The point I was attempting to address in your post, not very well I'm afraid, was your comment about not using system restore in many years. I use it often as well as my, at least one per day, full drive images. I also synchronize my documents and some system settings. These are all kept on a couple of external hard drives. This way I always have a path to recovery which can take as little as 5 to 20 minutes tops.

No need to apologize my friend, and I see your point.

Well, I have system restore enabled even if I don't really need to, but I don't use it because that is what I have my dedicated backup software for. But if the backup would fail for some reason, then I could fall back on system restore as a last resort since I have it enabled. Of course if a backup would fail then I would change that software out for something else as it turned out to not be reliable.

Haha, yeah I know OCD this and OCD that, I think we all have a little bit of it on good and bad :-). And in this case I don't think it's bad at all, as it is a matter of better be safe than sorry. At least that's how I see it. And by the sound of it I think you do too.

"This way I always have a path to recovery which can take as little as 5 to 20 minutes tops."

Exactly.

Edited by SweX