keeping eset open in task manager

jwardt

Hello, I'm new here.

I'm trying to speed up my old pc by closing as many programs as I can in task manager so as to maximize available cpu for a 3-D modeling progam that is a real hog. As it stands it barely works, I get frequent low memory warnings and it crashes frequently.

Can anybody tell me which entries in Task Manager MUST be kept open to insure full functunality of ESET NOD32 antivirus? I'm sorry, but I'm not very tech savvy and it's all gobbledygook to me. It would help if the names in the Task Manager list were the same as the names of the programs in question, but often they're not.

Thanks!

PS I'm still using windows xp. Yeah, I'd like to upgrade, but can't afford it.

• Administrators

There are 2 processes related to ESET - ekrn.exe (kernel service) and egui.exe (gui). The first one must run, however, without egui you wouldn't be able to change settings or respond to a prompt when user intervention is needed (e.g. if a potentially unwanted application is detected). That said, the only thing you could to save some RAM is by temporarily uninstalling ESET but this wouldn't be wise and wouldn't make sense, however.

As long as you doesn't prevent ESET's processes ekrn.exe and egui.exe from running you are fine.

You could check if you got any unnecessary auto-startups and disable those that don't need to run to save resources.

As long as you doesn't prevent ESET's processes ekrn.exe and egui.exe from running you are fine.

You could check if you got any unnecessary auto-startups and disable those that don't need to run to save resources.

Hello and welcome jwardt! Here is a link about start ups (it refers to Win 7, but the link inside talks about XP).

Remember, if you are unsure, do what I do - ask for help!

SweX is our resident XP-ert! :P

hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/disabling-start-up-devises/34aa129a-73a9-4427-9407-0014a54471e9

Edited by TomFace