repeated potential threat found

glenncz

I keep getting a repeated threat found warning when i wake up my computer.  I've attached a screen shot of the warning message. 

I did a deep scan of my computer, but I continued to receive the warning message.

Also, the ESET popup is confusing.  I only have a Disconnect or No Action option.  Disconnect from what?  i assume it's a web site throwing something at me.  Shouldn't I somehow be able to remove what is causing this from my computer?

Thanks!  Otherwise, I love the ESET anti virus program. 

post-6370-0-92147000-1423096458_thumb.png

• Administrators

The software in question is correctly classified as a potentially unwanted application (PUA). To finish downloading the file, select No action. To terminate http connection, click Disconnect. If you think that using the PUA in question outweighs potential risks, you can exclude it from detection, if detected in a file on a disk.

Thanks Marcos.

I think this is likely some type of browser add-on prompting me to do this.  I don't see any recently installed programs that are suspicious and I deleted the recent ones and updates. 

Am I right in that this is likely not a "virus" on my computer, that is why ESET is not finding it, but a browser problem.  But I don't know how to get rid of this message prompt, which I seem to be getting almost every time I open my computer.  Since I use 3 browsers, maybe I should try to isolate it and by leaving one at a time open when I close my lap top and see which browser is associated with this. 

Hello glenncz. It's a "potential" threat.

For more info on PUAs see:

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3204&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1423144348958

And for detected (and potential) threats in general:

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN117&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1423144517400

Edited by TomFace

No it's neither a browser addon nor any kind of (browser) issue, but it's a browser-independent feature of ESS and NOD32 which scans all network traffic.

In your case you surely just tried to download the ...DownloadManager/DM.exe from spamfighter.com. (Okay, I see that it's not exactly you but FightersTray.exe which is trying to downloading the file - maybe an update feature?)

The download has just started, but ESET already detected it as a PUA. I assume in your case it downloads a kind of installer, which is bloated with things like toolbars or something similar.

So the file is blocked before it is on your computer, so scanning your computer has no effect on this.

As already said you can disable the detection of PUAs or exlcude the specific file from the detection, so that this file will be ignored.

BTW: You can search for PUA on all ESET sites and find many, many more things. (actually there is also something about it in my signature)

Edit: Maybe I'm also wrong with the assumption that it is an installer. The name Win32/SlowPCfighter.A (or here) doesn't sound such good... :wacko:

Edit2: Okay I found this statement of the producer: hxxp://blog.spamfighter.com/general/slow-pcfighter-safe-legit-use.html

However I haven't tested this program and if ESET has a reason for detection this as a PUA, so form your own opinion about this...

Edited by rugk

You're welcome, @TomFace! :)

But now I had to remove the "like TomFace already linked to" because I noticed that I originally wanted to link to something else, where you haven't linked to. (Shame on me for not checking the link before...)

And... now I have noticed another mistake: I really wrote PUA (hover your mouse over it to see the mistake)... :D (so shame on me again...)

And... now I have noticed another mistake: I really wrote PUA (hover your mouse over it to see the mistake)... :D (so shame on me again...)

Some how the world will continue to rotate.

Nice job! ;)

I didn't take any action because I only get the message intermittently and didn't have time to fool with it.  I disconnect.  What I don't understand is what is calling for the download.  I deleted all the downloads in all my browsers.  Is there something on my computer calling to download this file?  If so, why can't I stop the action? It can't be just the Internet attacking me and trying to throw something on my computer, right?  So I should be able to make a change to my computer to stop this download action once and for all.

I am not sure whether this SlowPCFighter is an actual threat.  This program is offered on SpamFighter.  I do use SpamFIghter, which is an anti-spam email program I have been using for 2 yrs and is a legit program that never caused me problems.  I do know I don't want it or need it.

Right now I see my only option to download the SlowPCFighter, then uninstall it immediately, then do a deep ESET scan.  There has to be a better way. 

Edited by glenncz

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't understand is what is calling for the download.  [...] Is there something on my computer calling to download this file?

Yes, FightersTray.exe. :)

If so, why can't I stop the action? [...] So I should be able to make a change to my computer to stop this download action once and for all.

You can stop it. Get out to what software FightersTray.exe belongs to (I highly assume it's SpamFighter) and uninstall it.

Or block the internet connection for FightersTray.exe in ESETs firewall...

It can't be just the Internet attacking me and trying to throw something on my computer, right?

Yes. The internet isn't attacking anyone.

Only people or "machines" using the internet can attack somebody.

I am not sure whether this SlowPCFighter is an actual threat.  This program is offered on SpamFighter.  I do use SpamFIghter, which is an anti-spam email program I have been using for 2 yrs and is a legit program that never caused me problems.

Well... ESET classifies it as a PUA. And as it seems you are using SpamFighter and SpamFighter tries to foist SlowPCFighter on your computer. So I would say they're correct with detecting it as a PUA. (background installations of software... Ugh!)

I do know I don't want it or need it.

That's exactly the point!

...potentially unwanted application...

Right now I see my only option to download the SlowPCFighter, then uninstall it immediately, then do a deep ESET scan.  There has to be a better way. 

Well... that's a bit a strange solution. And I think SpamFighter would start again "offering" you this software...

Like I said the better solution would be to get rid of software which is trying to do potentially unwanted actions.

A good alternative to SpamFighter would be to switch to ESS, which has (among other things of course) a spam-filter built in. (Please check before whether your email client is compatible with ESS AntiSpam-feature.)

Edited by rugk

Thanks so much RUGK. You are a kind soul taking the time to help me, I'll try to give it back to the universe, and may good karma come your way.

I didn't get to this because I was away, but I still have the problem.  I will be working on your comments!!

Edited by glenncz

Great. Just use the time you need.

Good karma is very nice. :)

But apart from that also kudos are small great marbles which come out of nowhere and which are spread by users to mark good posts. You can give one at the right of a post:

post-3952-0-70614200-1424963543.png

Edited by rugk