Why does ESET always perform bad in AV tests?

Super_Spartan

test after test, we always see Eset's products when tested being heavy on the system.

Yet again, just released by AV-TEST the December 2014 results and ESET is still having bad ratings when it comes to performance:

hxxp://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

With the great engineering at ESET that produce probably the only AV with no quirks, why can't they do something to make the product lighter so it looks good in these tests?

and how in the world is Kaspersky rated lightest with Bitdefender as well? I thought KAV was a big resource hog

Edited by MaXimus

Yes, the thing with AV-test is a know mystery.

Even more than one year ago it was already strange.

So on the one hand there are these tests from AV test and on the other hand there are the experience of many users and some test like one from AV Comparatives recently where ESET won the whole Performance test and challenged companies like Kaspersky, Avira and Bitdefender.

Ask AV-Test. 

I have stopped bothering with their results when it comes to the performance part. It doesn't matter what OS they test on, or what version of the product that they test, same thing each time.

ESET is no1 in one test, and one of the worst in another....that's the world of AV testing. Just take it with a pinch of salt.

Ask AV-Test. 

I have stopped bothering with their results when it comes to the performance part. It doesn't matter what OS they test on, or what version of the product that they test, same thing each time.

ESET is no1 in one test, and one of the worst in another....that's the world of AV testing. Just take it with a pinch of salt.

Agree 100%

• Most Valued Members

Ask AV-Test. 

I think a pinch would be over seasoning.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, I usually only focus on the detection test and FP test result. For the performance, it can be varying. However, I must say that I am impressed with ESET system's performance impact based on my experience.

For me i even wonder why some times they said eset are not performing well, while of course nowadays with rapid canging in MD5 of the viruses, and new born viruses, i would say that even any Av cant say that they can blocked 100% viruses.

As i mention before, i own a computer shop and made a comparison between this AV and somehow, ESET is one of the AV that NEVER slows down your PC. Or any file downloading and scanning as claimed by those report. I wonder, why is it so different between REAL WORLD USER EXPERIENCE and test result. One of my partner before this change to use kaspersky after using ESET just to test the performance, then on disember last year, he changed back to eset as he said ESET is much better in term of performance and low system consumption or impact.

Well maybe, on their test machine are in controlled environment, while for REAL USER like us, ESET perform much better than others. 

Anyway, i still hope even with this positive feed back from customer, ESET didnt become careless in rushingly to develop new version of the Software without making a proper testing in term of performance and system consumption. All the best :)

Edited by khairulaizat92

• Most Valued Members

The posts here also sound like my experience with performance as well. After trying others with many different major releases over time, ESET was the lightest in my experience every time with Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 so far. To also have an excellent detection rate and protection with this performance is what makes ESET stand out.

I'm more trusted with AV Comparatives, but seeing AV-TEST with different results in performance once again is strange for me.  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

One question has NOD32 ever let any viruses through?

I can honestly say NO, another could be has NOD32 ever let me visit a malicious site without a 'slap on the hands' I can also honestly say NO to that also.... so I don't bother with what these testing sites say.

I am intrigued however, on how they make their money..... where do they get it from? What is often not considered is the testing method used, many a different  'tester site'  will even give AV comparative top leaders differing results.

Wonder have you seen this about AV comparatives?  Pretty sure I mentioned it a while back.

hxxp://www.melih.com/2011/11/27/av-comparatives-org-bullying-censorship-and-financial-deals-with-anti-virus-vendors/

I don't pay much attention to any of them myself, you can always do a 'on-line scan' or if you are that concerned try another AV on a spare drive but you must have facilities for 'cloning' - always keep a working drive working.

DO NOTE:  It is not recommended two have two AV's running at the same time as you are sure to get problems.

Dave

Edited by Pentode

Don't worry Pentode, it's an old thread and not very important anymore. To make a long story short TS has moved on to another product, and to another, and to another, and to another....No product can satisfy everybody.  :)