Here’s What Happens When You Install the Top 10 Download.com Apps

SweX

We installed the top 10 apps from Download.com, and you’ll never believe what happened! Well… I guess maybe you might have a good guess. Awful things. Awful things are what happens. Join us for the fun!

hxxp://www.howtogeek.com/198622/heres-what-happens-when-you-install-the-top-10-download.com-apps/

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

@TomFace

It's safe to look, but don't touch... By all means let the kids out of the basement but don't let them near the computer. ;)

@SweX

While I knew not to trust "Free" stuff it was a very interesting read and I sent the link to my click happy daughter and son in law. All in all a useful and informative training tool that expresses my concern very well. Thanks for the post.

• ESET Moderators

Just going to the Policies page for CNET gives me a warning!

But seriously, companies and vendors seem to hide behind legalese privacy statements and policies, but especially in this case where they seem to be in direct contradiction, isn't there some action that can be taken against them?

Software that installs viruses, Trojan horses, malicious adware, spyware, or other malicious software at any point during or after installation.
Software that installs without notice and without the user’s consent.
Software that includes or uses surreptitious data collection.
Software that diverts or modifies end users’ default browsers, search-engine home pages, providers, security, or privacy-protection settings without the users’ permission.
Software that installs in a concealed manner or denies users an opportunity to read the license agreement and/or to knowingly consent to the installation.
Software that induces installation by making false or misleading claims about the software or the software publisher.

Here's a follow up to SweX's posting from HTG.

hxxp://www.howtogeek.com/207692/yes-every-freeware-download-site-is-serving-crapware-heres-the-proof/

I think I'll join the kids in the basement (it might be safer, except for the radon :blink:)

Edited by TomFace