EBA Console issues

j-gray

I've been working with support for around 8 months (#00521603) and haven't had much luck with two issues. Posting here in hopes of more visibility and hopefully some options.

1. Frequently, activated devices in EP Console are not found in EBA Console at all (neither device name, nor seat name). They are clearly activated and are licensed
    • Is there a way to force these clients to update in EBA Console?
  2. OS X devices consume multiple licenses when upgraded
    • Many times after and upgrade of either AV or EI Connector, the OS X clients consume a license for the previous version and the new version. So we'll frequently see an OS X device with a 7.3.x license and a 7.4.x license at the same time. So we frequently run out of licenses when upgrading. This is not an issue on Windows devices.

Regarding #2, support indicated they were able to reproduce the license issue when upgrading from v6 to v7 and reportedly fixed this for this specific case. However, we found that the problem exists for other upgrade paths, as well, including the EI Connector.

It would make sense that this license issue is not version specific, nonetheless, support wants us to collect logs during the upgrade process. Unfortunately, this is not possible because 1) it is not consistently reproducible and we have no way of knowing what workstation might exhibit this issue, 2) there is no way to remotely start and stop log file creation to capture the process. Interactive login is required for log capture, which is not an option for remote sites and production systems, and 3) frequently systems can't be found in EBA Console so test cases are even more limited as we can't see what licenses are consumed.

I've presented multiple examples of the issue (see below), yet the onus for resolution seems to always be placed on the end-user to reproduce the issue, log the results, provide the log files, etc.

Here is an example of one device consuming 5 licenses for two products:

image.thumb.png.fccceaeece64a837bdbc176306bf87e1.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello @j-gray,

one of our developers noticed this thread and asked us to provide him with the installation logs (the OS install.log, usually located at /private/var/log/install.log) from the affected machine to check for the start?

Can you please provide us with it? Feel free to upload it to a file sharing service of your choice and send me the download details via a private message.

Thank you, Peter

Thanks @Peter Randziak  This issue presents during an upgrade cycle, which we've mostly completed (for now). Support recommended we bump our license purge to 30 days, so most duplicates have cleared by now.

I did share one log file I was able to find, but this instance doesn't look quite the same as what we typically see.

• 3 weeks later...

@Peter Randziak Any luck with the logs?

My case (#00521603) got auto-closed without resolution.

While it's a prevalent issue, I can't recreate it consistently at will. So end up wasting a lot of time manually enabling ECP logging to then not have the issue occur. And we hit the end of the upgrade cycle some time ago, so I don't have much to work with until the next upgrade is released.

FWIW, support did identify the issue upgrading from v6.11 to v7.3 and identified a fix for that scenario specifically. But apparently that fix does not apply to subsequent upgrades. I'm not sure why that would be the case, though.

Thanks again for your help.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @j-gray,

On 1/19/2024 at 9:14 PM, j-gray said:

My case (#00521603) got auto-closed without resolution.

I asked my colleagues from the Global Support Team to check it.

On 1/19/2024 at 9:14 PM, j-gray said:

While it's a prevalent issue, I can't recreate it consistently at will. So end up wasting a lot of time manually enabling ECP logging to then not have the issue occur. And we hit the end of the upgrade cycle some time ago, so I don't have much to work with until the next upgrade is released.

FWIW, support did identify the issue upgrading from v6.11 to v7.3 and identified a fix for that scenario specifically. But apparently that fix does not apply to subsequent upgrades. I'm not sure why that would be the case, though.

Sorry to hear of such issues and the trouble you experience with it😞 
The development team analyzed the logs and sadly haven't found cause in it seems that the activation went fine in this particular case. Do you happen to have the ECP Activation logs available to check from this case, or from another one when you observed the issue for the subsequent upgrade i.e. not from an upgrade from the 6.th generation of the product? If yes can you please provide me with it so I can provide the Dev team with it?

Thank you, Peter
Note for me: P_EECSM-5259

Hi @Peter Randziak No, unfortunately I don't have ECP logs for any of those.

I did have a small handful of candidates to upgrade but they weren't in the EBA Console at all, which is one of the issues we've been encountering.

• ESET Moderators
On 1/25/2024 at 10:31 PM, j-gray said:

No, unfortunately I don't have ECP logs for any of those.

That's a pity 😞, I hope that we will be able to move forward with it, but the logs would be helpful for sure. 
Peter

• ESET Moderators

Hello @j-gray,

I was informed that the NORAM Technical support team is in contact with you regarding the issues reported, I hope you will be able to resolve them together.

Peter