Jump to content

ESET suddenly stopped working and/or launching in latest version of Windows 10 64-bit


jdb2

Recommended Posts

Firstly, and this may be a possibly stupid statement, I have a license for ESET NOD32 Antivirus, but when I download the software associated with that license the product calls itself "ESET Security."

I've been using ESET NOD32 Antivirus for years in Windows and up until a few days ago it was working fine. The first thing I noticed was a notification to "Switch to a product with more features." Then, today, I tried to scan a file from the right-click context menu and nothing happened. I then checked the Windows system tray and ESET was not there. I then navigated to the start menu list of programs and tried to launch ESET Security and, again, nothing happened. I next tried uninstalling and reinstalling ESET Security via the control panel but that did nothing. Finally, I followed the instruction here to manually uninstall ESET in Windows 10 safe mode. And, again, same behavior.

The ESET product version I'm trying to get to run is "ESET NOD32 Antivirus" version 17.0.15.0 with an activation date of 12/17/2023 .

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3803) on a Dell Alienware 17 R5 laptop w/ 32GB of RAM.

At this point I don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jdb2

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

The notification "Switch to a product with more features" means that your license is eligible for a product with more protection features (ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium or ESET Ultimate Security).

However, having the basic ESET NOD32 Antivirus should not cause issues that you have mentioned. Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector for a start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jdb2 said:

The ESET product version I'm trying to get to run is "ESET NOD32 Antivirus" version 17.0.15.0 with an activation date of 12/17/2023 .

It appears you are downloading Eset Internet Security versus NOD32.

Assuming you have been issued an Eset license key, you can download the most recent version of NOD32 from here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885-download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products . Then activate it using the license key option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, for some reason unknown to me, ESET NOD32 Antivirus started working again when I booted up my laptop this morning. I don't know what changed as I had rebooted this laptop multiple times after installing ESET Security.

 

15 hours ago, itman said:

It appears you are downloading Eset Internet Security versus NOD32.

Assuming you have been issued an Eset license key, you can download the most recent version of NOD32 from here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885-download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products . Then activate it using the license key option.

Thanks for the tip 🙂 The strange thing ( at least to me ) is that when I'd navigate to my ESET account at home.eset.com, and select "Protect Device" the software available to download is "ESET Security" instead of "ESET NOD32 Antivirus" even though the downloaded installer executable is named "eset_nod32_antivirus_live_installer.exe". And again, I don't known why it just started working again.

Regards,

jdb2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Marcos said:

The notification "Switch to a product with more features" means that your license is eligible for a product with more protection features (ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium or ESET Ultimate Security).

However, having the basic ESET NOD32 Antivirus should not cause issues that you have mentioned. Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector for a start.

The problem seems to have resolved itself, whatever the problem was in the first place. Thanks though for the link to ESET Log Collector as I'll be sure to use that in the future if I encounter any problems.

Regards,

jdb2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Further, if I open up the "ESET" entry in the start menu, there's an "ESET Security" sub-menu, which contains "ESET Security" and "ESET SysInspector." If I run "ESET Security", the ESET NOD32 Antivirus main menu launches.

jdb2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Please provide your public license ID in the form of XXX-XXX-XXX so that we can check what product you are entitled to install and use.

You can change the product to the highest available here:

image.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...