SMTP error - NB Connect error 1460

JaapHoetmer

Hello

One of my customers using ESET is experiencing daily recurring issues with sending mails. Thunderbird sometimes refuses to send, throwing an error message 'Cannot connect to SMTP Server xx.xx.xx.xx, NB connect error 1460.' After a little while the problem disappears and emails can be sent again.

The ISP support engineer suggested to verify the AV software and settings, but in over 200 installations of ESET endpoints this is the first time I see this happening. I also found a statement in a forum from a Microsoft rep that this could be the antivirus software needing adjustments.

Does anybody have had similar experiences, and if so, what are the suggestions?

Since this is recurring daily, can it for instance be related to the AV updates being installed?

Product used: ESET Endpoint Antivirus v5.0.2229 with Remote Administration Server.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Since ESET neither integrates with Thunderbird nor scans SMTP communication, it's unlikely that your ESET Endpoint Antivirus (EEA) would be the culprit. You can try the following:

- temporarily disable protocol filtering

- temporarily uninstall EEA.L

Let us know about your findings.

One question, though, you say ESET doesn't integrate with Thunderbird, but I believe it does. Or so the configuration indicates. See attached image.

Am I misinterpreting?

post-5182-0-36521300-1420649318_thumb.png

• Administrators

One question, though, you say ESET doesn't integrate with Thunderbird, but I believe it does. Or so the configuration indicates. See attached image.

Am I misinterpreting?

Only with very old versions of Thunderbird. In the latest versions (v8 home and v6 Endpoint), support for Thunderbird has been removed completely.