Is it worth upgrading ?

fidelius2

I have Nod32 v 7.0.314.4.

My Operating system is Windows XP Professional x64 edition Version 2003 Service Pack 2.

Is it worth to upgrade to version 8 ?

Thank you.

Yes, I think so :)

But you need to update XP from SP2 to SP3 (service pack 3) before you try to install V8 otherwise you will see an error message and the install will fail. V8 requires SP3 to be installed.

Windows XP version 2003?

Well... it's Windows XP. :)

But about your question:

Yes it's worth upgrading to v8 as the exploit blocker was enhanced in ESET NOD32 and some other things also changed.

ESS e.g. even received a complete new feature, the Botnet protection.

Additionally the installation is really fast and simple, so I see no reason for not upgrading.

But please note that you have to install SP3 for Windows XP first before you can install ESET NOD32 Antivirus v8. But you can do this for free.

But even if you don't want to upgrade I would recommend you to install SP3 and install all available updates for Windows XP, because this fixes many security holes.

However Microsoft has discontinued the support for Windows XP, so you won't receive any updates for it in the future.

Service Pack 3 has never been released for Windows XP Professional x64, only the 32 bits version has SP3. Microsoft never developed a Service Pack 3 for the Windows XP 64-bit version. My windows is up to date at April 2014.

Edit :

Nod32 v8 won't install on XP 64 bits.

Edited by fidelius2

I'm sorry, but in this case you can't do anything.

So it is the best to let the latest version of ESET NOD32 v7 installed.

Should you upgrade your OS at some time to a newer version then you can install the latest v8.

• 4 months later...

From eset_eav_8_userguide_fra.pdf :

Microsoft® Windows® 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP SP3+ 32 bits/XP SP2+ 64 bits/Home Server 2003 SP2 32 bits/Home Server 2011 64 bits

---> Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2+ 64 bits = OK

but Server 2003 SP2 32 bits = NOT OK

My operating system :

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 2

So yes or no for version 8 ?

Edited by fidelius2

Well... you can of course try it.

If it's stated this way in the manual then it maybe works indeed. (Your OS is in fact Windows XP SP2+ 64 bit and as the Service Packs for XP 32bit and 64bit seem to be different there is a chance that it works.)

Just be sure to inform us about the result. :D

Edited by rugk

I have upgraded from the control panel in the update section "update of the product". I now have version 8.0.312.3.

So at first sight and as indicated in the user guide, it works for windows xp pro X64 service pack 2.

hxxp://s27.postimg.org/adbcxt1s3/nod32v8.jpg

Edited by fidelius2

It is great that work well on your operating system. At the same time, you have two huge problems. Now, when Microsoft Windows XP support is discontinued you don't have any guarantees about your security. Also, after this step from Microsoft, Windows XP became a major target for any kind of cyber criminals. All are focused on the operating system and therefore you will be constantly attacked in different directions. Software manufacturers (for browsers) will also end support and will become even worse. You should not rely only on NOD32 because solutions about your security are complex.

Your second problem is the maintenance of the hardware. Your hardware is much more modern than your operating system and it can not provide you with the best possible support to utilize the maximum of all available resources.

Thank you for letting us know!